Six | Second chance

Xavier leaves the next day when I finally begin to feel better. I'm not quite sure how he found the time to stay two nights with me, but secretly I was grateful to have the company.

I'm making myself lunch when my phone begins to vibrate on the counter. It's Davina.

I'd given her a special ring tone so that I'd always know not to bother looking at who is calling. It was easier that way.

My heart startles every time I hear it though. Like a constant reminder that I've done the wrong thing.

It goes to voice mail and I turn back from staring at it, leaning over the stove as I stir the sauce I'm making.

Only a few seconds later does the doorbell begin to ring. I'm startled again by the sound, unsure if I want another mystery visitor in the space of three days.

Regardless, I hurry towards the door as they ring it again.

A part of me should expect to see Davina standing on the other side, back straight and black hair tightly pulled back in a ponytail.

She offers me a deep frown as her form of greeting. Without even asking, she walks past me briskly entering the foyer.

"How did you—"

"Your brother gave me your address when you decided to ignore my call for the millionth time," she says. "Glad to know you're alive at least."

She walks further into the apartment, following the smell of the pasta sauce I'm making. It sits simmering on the stove as she takes a seat at the table.

"I know you've been through a lot," she starts. "But I'm sure that Brax wouldn't want you to throw away you're career over him."

"That isn't—"

She holds up her hand, cutting me off. "You have so much potential. Didn't I tell you once that you reminded me so much of myself? I don't just tell anyone that."

I lean against the counter, watching her as she assesses me. I wonder what she sees. I wonder if I've changed since the last time she saw me. More than just emotionally, anyway.

"I know how close you were to Brax," she raises an eyebrow. "And his brother. It wouldn't have been easy losing both of them so quickly. I'm sorry for that. But please don't throw away your future because of your grief."

I'm shaking my head before she's even finished. It's so complicated and I can never tell her why. My mouth would have to remain shut until I died and I knew it would be hard to ever look Davina in the eye again.

"I have a new client," she begins. "A young boy. About Casey Patridge's age. He's a good kid. Just caught up in a bad situation."

My heart thuds in my chest loudly. Sometimes I wonder if Davina knows more than she lets on. How else would she know that the name Casey Patridge would easily be my undoing?

"I can't tell you much more unless I know you're one hundred per cent on board with this," she says sternly. "But I think it could be of interest to you.  As long as you remain professional."

I'd never mentioned my relationship with Brax, but it's clear from her expression alone that she knows about it. Maybe we weren't as careful as we thought with her.

I can tell by the look in her eye that she isn't going to say anything about it unless I mention it. She's willing to keep a secret for me. Because she wants me to work for her again that much.

"How many days would I be expected to work?" I ask.

Davina tries her best to hide her smile, knowing she's winning me over. "Whatever you wanted. We could work our way up. Maybe start at two days?"

I drum my fingers against the counter, thinking. "Am I allowed to think about—"

"No," Davina says abruptly. "It has been impossible to contact you. Do you really think I would walk out these doors without having a straight answer from you?"

I think about Xavier and the conversation we'd had. About how he'd told me just to listen to Davina and let myself decide from there.

"Can you tell me what the case is at least? What he's being charged with?"

"Murder," she whispers.

My heart sinks. I have to look away in order to keep the pain from my expression. It's not the type of case I really need right now but I can't deny that I'm drawn to the possibility.

If I do this, I'd need to make sure it isn't anything like last time. I couldn't get attached.

I couldn't be like it was with Casey.

"Why do you think I'll be able to do this?" I ask.

Unexpectedly, Davina reaches across the table to place a stern hand on my arm. "Because you've never given yourself enough credit. You can't seem to admit that you are worthy for this role. And let me tell you, you definitely are."

"But how do you know I'll be able to handle this case? Why this case specifically?"

"What if it's the best decision you ever make? What if its the closure you really need?"

"I've already had closure," I whisper. "It's why I was away for the year."

Davina's eyes search mine, like she's cutting through the bullshit instantly. I wouldn't be surprised. Everyone knows she's a great lawyer.

"You know you can leave at anytime. I just think you should give it a chance. See how you go."

An image of Casey flashes through my mind. He's planting in his mother's garden. He's smiling at me like I'm his favourite person. He's telling me a joke to cheer me up.

His laughter reverberates in my mind, but I wonder if it's just a sound I've invented. I'm beginning to forget the sound of his voice. I beginning to forget the colour of his eyes.

I don't want to forget. Upholding Casey's memory is all that matters to me.

"Okay," I say. "I'll come back."

Davina grins, shaking my hand professionally.

If I can help even one kid just like Casey, then maybe I'd learn to forgive myself for all that has happened.