Nine | Here again

"I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"I do. Because I thought of it. So it is."

I sigh into the phone, leaning my head against the kitchen counter as I listen to Beckett drone on and on.

He's trying to convince me to come to a party that Sof is hosting. The only problem with that is I haven't stepped foot inside her house in over a year.

I'm not sure I ever want to again.

"Sof really wants you there."

"Why didn't she ask me directly then?" I counter, drumming my fingers.

"She's still unsure about where you stand with each other. But she's hoping this will fix it."

"A party will fix it?" I say unsure. "Beckett, you've been to one of their parties with me. Do you really think I need to go?"

"Think about Sof. Don't you want to repair what you've lost?"

It was still such an undecided factor for me. It would never make sense to me how I could care about someone so much but know that maybe they shouldn't be apart of my life.

"I don't mean to pressure you," he says.

I snort, rolling my eyes. "Yeah. Okay."

"I just thought maybe it would be nice to get out of the house for a bit."

"I get out of the house, thank you."

"For what? Work and grocery shopping?"

He laughs at his own joke, like it's the funniest thing in the world. I keep quiet, waiting for him to shut up.

"Will you be quiet if I say yes?" I ask.

"Totally," he agrees.

"Fine. Pick me up at eight."

————————————————————————

I regret it as soon as I'm inside.

The music is too loud. People are everywhere.

The house is always going to be haunted to me now. There are too many memories here.

"You'll be fine," Beckett yells in my ear, clearly sensing my apprehension.

I almost go to answer him but I'm suddenly struck when I see the photo slanted on the wall behind him.

It wasn't there last time I was here.

Baby Casey. He's being held by Brax. Xavier's sitting in the background, leaning over the shoulder of Brax.

"I need the bathroom," I croak, shoving past Beckett before he has the chance to grab me.

The door clicks shut behind me. The music dulls.

I watch myself in the mirror, leaning both arms on either side of the basin.

What was I even thinking?

Five seconds. It's taken me five seconds to lose control from a photo.

When I meet my eyes in the mirror again, they appear bloodshot.