Seventeen | startling admission

Music plays softly in the background as we approach the cabin on a lone dirt road. 

It's completely secluded. The only sound is the tires rolling along the road as Xavier parks on the driveway.

"No neighbours?" 

He shakes his head, unbuckling his seatbelt. "Mum wanted it that way." 

"Not sure if that's safer or not," I mumble. "What happens if I need serious help?" 

"We have reception," he retorts, climbing from the car. 

I follow after him, opening the door as I step out into the chill consuming the air. 

The cabin is exactly the stereotypical type I'd imagined. Logwood, chimney protruding from the roof, pathway lined with small shrubs that are covered in light frost. 

Xavier pulls my suitcase from the back of the car, dropping in onto the dampened earth. He lugs it up the steps, leaving it beside the door as he unlocks the heavy wood. 

"When was the last time you were here?" I ask. 

The key clicks in the lock and Xavier swings the door open, welcoming the smell of musk and wood. 

"Right after Brax's funeral, I came up here for a bit. Maybe two weeks? Then I heard you'd...gone away and Sof was upset, so I came home. Faced reality again."

I grab my suitcase, rolling it inside as I take in the space. 

It's comfortable, with a small kitchen area to the right and a lounge area to the left. The L-shaped leather couch takes up most of the area, with a wooden tv cabinet against the central wall. 

A few photos line the wall. I look away when I notice one of Brax as a teen. 

"That wasn't what I was doing, by the way," I say, turning back towards Xavier.

"What?"

"Avoiding reality."

"I didn't say you were," he retorts.

"It seemed implied. By the way you said—nevermind, I don't want to fight."

"I wasn't having a go at you. I wasn't even talking about you. Don't overthink everything, Rhea."

He walks towards me, taking my luggage out of my hand. His cold thumb touches my palm lightly as I pass it over to him. "You can have the master bedroom. It's got an ensuite." 

"Are you staying the night?" I ask. 

"It's getting dark. May as well."

He leads the way down the small hallway, stopping short at a closed door to my left. It opens with a whine, blasting more musty air. 

A double bed sits in the the centre of the room between two bedside tables. A white floral quilt covers the bed. A framed photo of Casey as a baby sits on one of the tables. 

"The ensuite is just through there. You can unpack your bag and hang anything up—"

"Thanks. I know how a room works."

He rolls his eyes, arm resting against the door frame. 

"Are we going back out to get food for dinner?" I ask, placing my bag against the floor as I unzip it. 

"I came up a few days ago. There should be enough food here to last you a week."

Xavier watches me as I begin pulling out some of my items. "How long am I going to be stuck here again? No longer than a week, right?"