Twelve | Unsafe territory

It takes me two attempts to pull the keys from the ignition. My hands are shaking terribly.

I don't want this nightmare to be my life again. It nearly consumed me last time.

What if I don't make it out again?

A loud wrap of knuckles against my window startled me. I barely suppress a scream as I clutch my chest, turning towards Xavier.

He's yanking on my door handle, pulling off my seat belt. It's as though he thinks I can't function on my own.

Maybe I can't.

"Get inside," he says urgently.

He barely gives me space to lock the car door. His head turns at every sound, no matter how small. It worries me even more to see him on edge.

"Why would he be back?" I ask, following him up the steps of the house. "Why now?"

"I don't know, Rhea. He's a psychopath," Xavier snaps. "He thrives on hurting others."

I bite my tongue. It isn't like this family is perfect. Not that I'm defending the actions of someone who single handedly ruined my life.

Everyone is home when I walk through the doors. Sof is sitting nervously on the armchair, her knee bouncing. Marco is leaning against the wall opposite me, staring at the floor in thought.

When the front door closes behind us both Sof and Marco look up.

"Rhea," Sof says, standing up.

Her arms are wrapped around me before I get the chance to prepare myself. She squeezes me tight and I can feel her tears dripping against my t-shirt.

"Not again," she whispers. "I can't do this again."

I want so badly to reassure her, but how? How can I say anything at all when I feel exactly the same?

Instead, I loop my arms around her and I try to concentrate on the momentary reprieve for us.

"What's the plan?" I ask the room, eyeing Marco and Xavier.

It's the first thing I've said to Marco in a long time.

Out of everyone in the family, I've always felt the least close to him. He doesn't have the warmth that I occasionally see in the rest of the them.

"Other than to wipe out the entire fucking family?" Marco says. "Not a lot."

"Because murder has gotten us so far," I snap.

Marco frowns. His eyes squint as if he's beginning to assess me closely.

"What exactly do you want us to do, Rhea? Sit around and let them rule out fucking lives?" he seethes. "There is no end to this."

I can feel my frustration beginning to rise, but for the sake of Sof I remain calm.

"I don't want any part of this," I state. "Not again. This can't be my life."

Xavier goes to say something but he's cut off by the sarcastic laughter bubbling from Marco's mouth.

"Maybe you should have thought of that before you decide to imprint yourself on this family."

"Imprint myself?" I shout. "What am I? A fucking wolf?"

"This isn't the time," Xavier interrupts.

Marco steps away from the wall, taking a step further into the living room.

"They're clearly after you, Rhea," Xavier continues. "For whatever reason, you seem to be the first target."

"I don't get it," I shake my head, pulling away from Sof as she takes a seat on the couch.

"Get what?" Marco scoffs.

I glare at him, balling my fists. "Why do they still think you'd care if I died? Brax is— Brax is gone."

"Good point," Marco deadpans.

Sof turns around to face him, glaring. "Don't be an ass."

"Who let this child into the room anyway?" Xavier points at Sof. "Her first response is to cry."

Sof stands from the couch, reaching over to shove at his chest. "Fuck you, Marco. Thank god I'm not related to you because I would rather die than actually have you as a brother."

"Enough," Xavier snaps. "We've gotta be a team right now for fucks sake."

"Who made you such an inspirational speaker?" I retort.

"You're not helping, Rhea."

"I'm going to my room," Sof mumbles. "I have had enough."

"Of course—"

The glare Xavier directs at Marco cuts him off from finishing whatever stupid comment he was about to give.

Sof raises her middle finger towards Marco who only rolls his eyes in response.

"You're staying here," Xavier says.

At first I don't even realise that he's talking to me. Maybe it should be obvious, but not for a second did I think my life would come full circle like this.

When I look between both of them to see that they are waiting for my response, I barely have anything to say at all.

Instead, I go to walk towards the front door. Before I even make it, Xavier grabs my arm, pulling me towards him.

"What are you going to do?" he says, inches from my face.

I realise that I'm holding my breath, looking right into the identical eyes that he shared with Brax.

"I'm not staying here," I say low. "I'm not doing this all over again."

"You don't have a choice. I'm not letting you leave through those doors, Rhea."

"What are you gonna do about it?" I say, stepping closer.

"Drag you back. Even if you're kicking and screaming. I don't give a fuck."

The intensity in his eyes should frighten me, but it's all too familiar. A part of me is drawn to it, curious even.

"Why do you care so much? You don't have to protect me anymore."

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "You're the only girl my brother ever loved. I'm not gonna let you die because of us. He'd never forgive me."

"You can't protect me forever."

"I'll protect you for as long as I'm alive," he says earnestly.

"You really have become a walking cringe," I say, shaking my head.

He offers me a lopsided grin despite the severity of the situation.

"I'm still not staying here," I shake my head.

Without meaning to, my eyes travel to the photograph of Casey and Brax hanging on the wall.

Xavier turns to see where my gaze has landed and I watch his shoulder visibly drop.

"We'll stay at yours."

"No—"

Before I get the chance to finish, he's already walked off to pack himself a bag.

I'm left standing awkwardly opposite Marco until he too decides to leave the room, allowing the hinges of the back door to bounce off the wall.

"Fuck you too," I whisper, standing alone in the living room with a million memories that I only wish I could forget.