Seven | Past future

"You want me to what?"

I'm sitting on the floor of my living room, completing a puzzle.

When I was about to be released from the facility, my psychologist told me to try new activities that didn't use a lot of brain power. To relax me.

I couldn't remember the last time I tried to do a puzzle. It was probably when mum was still alive. She used to love them when I was a kid.

Now my hand freezes mid-air as I think over what Beckett has just said through the phone.

"Have dinner with me and Sof tonight," he repeats on loudspeaker, sitting beside the puzzle on my coffee table.

"Ah," I laugh nervously. "Yeah, I'm not too sure about that."

"Come on," he pleads. "She really wants to see you."

I think about how glad I was in the end to see Xavier. I still can't decide whether that is a good thing or not. It could be risky letting them back in so soon. Or at all.

"Beckett," I sigh. "Things can't be how they were before with us."

"They don't have to be how they were before. Just start over fresh," he urges.

I pick up a few pieces of the puzzle, shuffling them around the table until I give up on trying. I'm too distracted right now.

"Where are you wanting to go?"

"I thought I could cook actually. Or get takeaway, more accurately."

I huff a laugh, shaking my head. "I really don't know about this," I bite my lip.

"Clearly a part of you wants to," he says. "Otherwise you wouldn't be thinking about it."

Of course he's right. It's just the endless cycle of doubt running through my mind about what the right thing to do is.

"Can I bring Layla and Maia?"

"Of course. Bring anyone you want," he says, relief clear in his tone.

"When exactly where you planning this for?"

"Tonight?"

"Tonight?" I cough.

I'd expected to at least have a week to work myself up to this, but clearly Beckett liked to work quickly.

"And don't even try and get out of it by saying that you have work. I know your roster."

I groan, staring at the phone of my screen. "I hate you for this but fine. Fine I will come. Just— don't make a big fuss over this, alright? I don't want her getting her hopes up over anything."

"Okay. See you tonight then. Six o'clock suit you?"

"Guess so—"

"Great! Bye!"

Before I can utter another word, he hangs up, leaving me in silence.

—————————————————————

Layla comes with Maia to pick me up later that night.

I haven't properly seen either of them since the disagreement I'd had with Maia at dinner after being released.

The car ride to Beckett's is slightly tense, but I pretend not to notice it. Tonight would be hard enough and having yet another fight with my best friend wouldn't help.

"So, should we place bets on what food we think he going to buy? I say pepperoni pizza. Three of them because he just thinks everyone loves pepperoni."

"Oh! Doesn't he love dumplings?" Layla says. "That's my bet."