Thirty-Four | His End

I cut the engine, greeted me a deafening silence. Sof stares out the window to her left, drumming her fingers on her lap.

I try to understand what she may be thinking but her face is obstructed by the hair cascading over her shoulders.

"I might just wait in the car if that's okay," she says. "I haven't been here in a while and—"

"I understand," I whisper, the keys clinking as I remove them from the ignition. "I won't be long."

I exit the car, lighting shutting the door as I make my way towards the entry of the cemetery. Gravel crunches under my shoes as a brisk wind nips at my skin.

My eyes begin to water from the cold but I blink, scanning the area with sudden clear vision when I spot him.

I hadn't been to see Casey's grave since the funeral. It hadn't been something that comforted me, knowing he was here. It was easier to think of him as off somewhere unknown, more than the idea that he had been laid to rest here.

"I thought you might be here," I say, approaching Brax softly.

He doesn't turn at the sound of my voice. His head is lowered, chin tucked to his chest as he stares intently at the headstone.

"I was here that day," he says.

I stand next to him, arms crossed as I fight the cold. Brax stands shoulder-to-shoulder with me. The warmth from his shoulder is almost enough to quench my unease.

"The day of his funeral?"

"Yeah," he clears his throat. "I stood by that tree over there," he gestures in a roundabout way to a distance tree that I don't bother looking for.

"You shouldn't have left," I say.

"Which time?" He remarks, his lips lifting into a half smile.

"Every time."

"I had no choice."

"Okay. I know that's how you feel."

He seems to pause, turning his head slightly to look at me. I peer over at him, staring.

I still knew I loved him with all of me but things felt so different now. No matter what I would always feel that there was something in the way for us, almost a sign stating that it was never truly right.

"You're not going to argue with me?"

"I've grown tired of it," I say. "I'm ready to feel something else other than resentment. I want to care about other things now, like my career."

"You're going to make a great lawyer someday," he says.

"Maybe not an honest one, though."

"Lawyers aren't always honest. They're factual. They look out for their client no matter what."

It's maybe the best conversation we've had in over a year and it's barely been a few minutes since I left the car. It's nice not to be screaming at each other for once.

"You shouldn't leave like this again," I continue. "Not with a note. You've gotta be braver than that."

He turns his head, staring back at Casey's grave. "I don't think I've ever been brave."

"I think Casey would disagree."

"Do you disagree?"

"You're asking a lot in that one question," I whisper. "I think it depends on what situation. But you know how I feel about how you decided to leave and I think your family deserves more than a note."