Eleven | Stranger danger

"You think you're being followed after work?"

I'm sitting in Davina's office the next day, waiting for Thomas to arrive.

It's the first time I've felt like I'm the one being questioned. Like I'm her latest client and she's uncovering the evidence with me.

"Yes," I say, knee bouncing. "It's like— I don't know if this sounds stupid, but I just have this feeling. You know when you feel like someone is staring at you?"

She nods, clicking a pen in her hand as she watches me sternly.

"I could just be imagining it, but I don't know."

"I can organise security to walk you out—"

"No," I shake my head. "I don't want you to make a big deal—"

"Rhea," she says sternly. "If you have a feeling, you should listen to it. Trust your instincts."

"But—"

"You clearly told me this because you're worried. You have every right to be. Do you know how many times I've been stalked by a family member who is angry I put their loved one in prison?"

"A lot, I'm guessing."

"Five times," she says. "But nothing bad has ever ended up happening because I've taken action before it was too late."

I nod, tucking my hands under my legs. "It's only happened twice and as I said earlier, I haven't actually seen anyone. I just thought it could be worth mentioning to you."

"I'm glad you did," she says, eyes wondering behind me as the door clicks open.

"We'll discuss this later," she finishes, welcoming Thomas to have a seat as she begins discussing the case.

——————————————————

Security walk me back to my car later that day as Davina had promised.

I don't get the feeling again. It makes me wonder if I've been imaging it this whole time, like an illusive trick of my imagination.

When I admitted myself, I wondered if people would think I'd done it was because I'd been driven mad. That I'd lost sense of my own reality.

I wondered if that was truly what had happened to me now.

I lock my doors as soon as I enter the warmth of my car. I crank the heater, holding my frozen fingers over the vents as I breath slowly.

My phone begins to vibrate in my pocket. It's a call from Xavier.

"Hello?" I say, confused.

"Where are you right now?" he booms down the line.

"What?" I laugh, placing my bag on the passenger seat. "What are you, my father? Why are you calling?"

"I'm not playing around, Rhea," he snaps. "Where are you?"

"Jesus," I roll my eyes, fiddling with the heater again. "What is going on?"

He stops for a second. I pause too, feeling my heart begin to race.

"What is it, Xavier?" I breathe. "You're scaring me now."

"Charlie Bryor'a back in town. He's been spotted nearby. I need to know where the fuck you are right now."

Charlie Bryor.

The man who killed Brax.

He's back.

"I'm— I'm just about to leave work," I say, trying to keep myself calm.

My hands are sweating profusely. I can feel the air leaving my lungs as the thought of ever seeing that man after what he's done.

"I'm coming now," he says suddenly.

"Wha— no. I'm okay. I'll— I'm in my car. I'll be at home soon," I whisper, my hands shaking.

"Send me your exact location, Rhea," he snaps. "I mean it."

"Xavier, I'll be fine. I'm in my car—"

Sudden movement to my right.

I turn my head just in time as a man approaches the car door, slamming his palms against the window. He grabs for the handle, yanking it forcefully.

Instinctively, I scream. I can hear Xavier on the other end of the line, trying to ask me what the hell is going on.

"I'm in the car park next to the office," I shout, fumbling for my keys.

"What is going on?" he responds.

"I don't know! I don't know who he is," I respond loudly. "He's trying to get into the car."

Finally, the keys find the slot in the ignition and I'm slamming my car into reverse.

I drop the phone into my lap as I pull the car into drive, watching as he begins to approach me again.

I can feel myself beginning to hyperventilate. The tears are stuck in my throat as I hold in a sob.

His palm slams against my window again, only this time he's holding a brick. It cracks the glass as I turn the wheel away from him, speeding out of the parking lot.

"Are you alright, Rhea?" Xavier says, worried.

"No!" I scream. "A man I've never seen in my life just tried to break into my fucking car, Xavier."

I squeeze my eyes shut for a second, feeling the burning of tears.

"This can't be happening again," I croak. "Not again."

"Get over here now, alright?"

"I just wanna go home—"

"No. I will personally drag you out by your fucking hair if you do not get over here right now."

Deja vu.

Back to a time when I was locked inside the Patridge house for my own protection. Only, it felt a little different last time.

"I don't want this to happen again."

"Well, it is, Rhea. We've just gotta deal with it."

"Deal with it?" I laugh, angered. "This isn't even supposed to be my mess."

"Are you gonna sit here and blame me or let me help you actually survive?"

I stop at the lights, pulling into the left lane absentmindedly.

"Okay," I whisper, rubbing a hand over my face. "Okay. I'll— I'm coming."

"You make it sound like a choice," he deadpans. "I wasn't offering you one."

"Would you just shut up. Someone tried to fucking kill me."

He sighs. There is a rustling on the other end of the line as he moves.

"Look, I'm sorry. But you've dealt with this all before. You aren't new to this. You know these people are ruthless. They won't stop, Rhea."

The tears dry now as the light turns green. I signal left, driving closer and closer to the Patridge house once again.