Twenty-Three | Wanting gone

"I want to go home."

I'm standing in the kitchen the next morning in an oversized t-shirt that certainly doesn't match the temperature. Or my emotions.

Sof, Xavier and Brax all look up from their meal at the table, watching me. Each wear a different expression; Sof looks happy for me, Xavier looks annoyed and Brax...concerned?

I didn't care. He could be as concerned as he wanted to be. It didn't change anything.

"Too bad," Xavier says, unfazed by my comment.

I cross my arms over my chest, taking up the spare seat beside Sof.

I can feel Brax watching me, but I don't look at him. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing how I feel.

"I am going home. Whether you like it or not."

"Are you?" Xavier raises an eyebrow. "How exactly are you getting home, Rhea?"

"My brother is coming to get me. I called him."

I'd had an hour-long phone call with Dean this morning. We'd had spoken in days, and he was beginning to worry. All my friends had been calling him too. I hadn't much enough effort lately to see any of them.

I was close to tears, telling him the truth. How Brax was alive. He hadn't believed me and thought I was having an episode.

I'm not sure what persuaded him to believe me, but eventually, he swore he would come and pick me up to take me home. He sounded livid like he was ready to kill someone.

I'm worried for both Xavier and Brax when he arrives shortly.

Xavier begins to laugh, like what I've said is the funniest thing he's ever heard. It slowly begins to become quieter as he watches me for an expression that I don't offer him.

"You're being serious," he says sternly.

"Why would I be lying?"

"Because I never said you could—"

I begin to laugh loudly, slamming my hands against the table as I stand. The force causes Sof to jump beside me and I would offer her an apologetic glance if I wasn't so focused on destroying Xavier with my glare.

"You don't get to dictate my life after you kept such a huge secret from me. A secret that you knew would have solved so many of my issues. You just kept it to yourself and let me suffer."

"I told him not to tell you," Brax cuts in. "I told him he wasn't allowed."

"Oh, so you're back on the same team now, are you? Not so mad that your brother has wanted to fuck me since—"

"Shut the fuck up, Rhea," Brax growls. "That isn't funny."

"Who said I was trying to be funny?"

"We get that you're upset, but you can't leave. Brax is only back now because we are unsafe, and he hasn't—"

"I don't care. I'm leaving whether you like it or not. I have a life to continue that exists outside the walls of this stupid cabin."

"No, you're goddamn not."

"Xavier, you're not—"

"No," he shouts suddenly, "you listen to me. You walk out those doors I can't—we can't protect you. You'll be in danger."

My eyes land on Brax as he works his jaw. I can see the words stewing in his mind. He's watching the way Xavier looks at me now with utter jealously.

I feel a sense of triumph run through me, like a strike of adrenaline.

"I'll be in danger wherever I go. I can't stay here forever."

"You should stay here," Brax adds stupidly.

"I think that's quite enough from you," I deadpan. "Ghostie."

Sof lets out a laugh of surprise. She quickly covers it with a cough when she sees both her brothers turn to her glaring.

"Let her go," Sof says, glaring right back at her brothers. "You're being unreasonable. Imagine if one of you was forced to stay somewhere you didn't want to go. Would you still be okay with that?"

The room quietens suddenly, and I offer Sof a small, grateful smile. It's nice to have at least one person on your side.

"You both know that having me here is only a temporary solution to a long-term problem. They aren't going to give up until they get what they want. Whatever that may be."

"That's exactly why you need to let us work on it. Until then—"

"You think we just live in some world where jobs don't exist? Cash is starting to get mad at me. You should see the texts I'm getting. And fair enough. I haven't exactly been an employee of the year."

"Your safety is more important than work. If you're worried about money—"

"I'm not taking handouts," I glare at Brax. "The fact you even just said that to me."

"I don't think it matters what I say to you," he snaps. "You'll want to fucking kill me either way."

"True," I tap a finger against my chin, pretending he's just said something enlightening.

"For fucks sake, Rhea—"

"Enough!" Sof says, rising from the table to stand next to me. "She wants to go, so she's going."

As the words leave her mouth, a car begins to appear up the driveway.

It's Dean.

Even though I had pleaded with him to stay in the car whilst I brought my bags out, he barely cuts the engine before he's striding towards the door.

He pounds on the door loudly. Brax and Xavier look at each other, preparing for a fight.

"I'll calm him down. Just—just don't say anything stupid, alright?"

As soon as I unlock the door, Dean avoids my attempt at keeping it shut halfway. He pushes it open with his toe, barging past me as he spots Brax.

"What the fuck?"

Dean grabs the back of his shirt, pulling him up.

"Do you know the shit you have caused?"

Brax elbows his way out of the hold, spinning around to face my brother.

"Dean, can we just—"

"You ruined her life and for what? Just so you could return and ruin it again? Fuck you."

He lands a punch on Brax's nose with a sickening crunch. Brax doesn't bother to retaliate. He lets it happen.

"Dean!" I shout.

I almost reach out for Brax but my arms stop in the air. He sees it too because as I pull away, I see how hurt he is. He turns his head as the blood begins to pool from his nose, so I lose his gaze.

"You better get back in your car," Xavier growls, "and drive the fuck home."

"Not without Rhea."

They go nose-to-nose and I fight the entire embarrassment I feel over the level of testosterone being presented right now.

"Both of you stop."

When neither of them looks at me, I return back to my room to grab my bags.

I give Sof a hug goodbye and tell her I'll see her when she's back home too. When I turn around to look at Brax, I can tell he wants to stop me.

The best thing he's done in these past few days is just to let me go.

I offer him a nod, more than he truly deserves, before grasping Dean's arm.

"Let's go."

He steps back from Xavier and I walk briskly to the door before he tries to grab me.

"You don't know what you're doing, Rhea."

"I'm leaving, Xavier. That's what I'm doing."