Thirty | calm conversations

Xavier had been keeping a close eye on me since they'd found me. It wasn't always obvious, but I'd spotted his car across the street from Cash's bar last night. He'd followed me there and stayed for the entirety of my shift.

I'd thought about confronting him, but a part of me wondered whether it was better to let it go. I'd almost felt at peace walking across to my car, knowing he was close by.

The door to the Patridge house swings open and even though I know he lives here, I feel my heart sink when Brax stands before me.

"Oh. Hi."

He doesn't say anything at first. He stares at me, his gaze sweeping over my body as he takes me in.

"I'm here to see Sof," I say. "Just wanted to chat."

"She's out at the moment," he says. "Should be back soon."

I nod, clearing my throat. "Okay. I'll come back—"

"You can wait in here," he steps back from the doorway.

"No, that's—"

"Rhea."

Something about the way he says my name makes me stop. I had a whole excuse prepared to use, that I could come back another day to see Sof, that it wasn't that important. It dies on my mouth instantly.

"Okay," I say.

I can't look at him as I walk past, barely able to scrap through without knocking into his giant frame.

I was strange how many memories I had of this place. They seemed to hang heavy in the room with me, like a burden on my shoulders. Casey's laughter always made it better though.

My eyes seem to land on Casey's picture framed on the wall. I'm suddenly hit with a memory of him running me a bath when I'm was sad. The way he loved the garden. The way he looked when he died in my arms.

I jerk my head away from the photo, clutching a hand to my throat. Tears spring in the corners of my eyes and I bite my lip to keep them at bay.

"Did you want something to drink?" Brax asks.

"Um, maybe just a water," I mumble, taking a seat on the couch.

My phone buzzes in my back pocket. Taking it out, I find a new message from Maia.

Dean, Maia and Lay had created a group chat the day I'd come home from being kidnapped. They'd wanted to go to the police straight away but Xavier had warned them against it, explaining that he'd find me first. It took a lot of restraint to stop my brother from going apeshit apparently.

Since coming home, the group chat has a new message every few minutes. The girls had also made me turn my location on so that they could track my every move. They'd also moved into my apartment for the week, sleeping on the couch.

Maia: WHY IS YOUR LOCATION TELLING ME YOUR AT THAT FUCKING HOUSE?

Maia loved to use her caps lock at any given time. It was her way to enhance her anger, she'd always said.

Me: Just here to speak with Sof about Beckett. They had a fight about something.

Layla: Please be safe.

My phone starts ringing. It's an incoming call from Dean. Great. Maia had clearly alerted him with the text.

I decline it. It rings again. I text him that I'm okay and that I'll be home soon. He rings again. I power off my phone.

"Rhea."

Brax's voice startles me. He's standing so close that I involuntarily take a step back from him. He hands me the glass of water, not meeting my eyes.