Thirty-One | Drunken Stupor

"We should go out."

I'm sitting on my bedroom floor, folding my freshly washed laundry. My eyes are downcast, staring at a stain on my tracksuit bottoms when I look up at Layla through the mess of my brown hair.

"Hello to you, too," I smile, pushing my hair behind my ears.

Layla sits down in front of me, red hair pulled up into a slick ponytail. The usual mess of her curls has been straightened, and she's wearing a full face of makeup like she already knew to ambush me before she came. Her sharp, winged eyeliner threatens me despite the promising smile she wears.

"Why do you want to go out?"

"It'll be fun?"

"Why does that sound more like you're trying to convince yourself," I mumble, folding a t-shirt.

She pulled the t-shirt from my grasp and folded it herself. "When was the last time we went out? Can you even remember?"

I don't remember, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I hadn't particularly felt like doing much lately other than staying in bed and avoiding Davina's calls. I knew that it was only a matter of time before she realised I wasn't sick.

"I need to finish my washing."

Layla sighed, grabbing one stack of my washing as she began folding. She speeds through half the pile before I've even started on a pair of jeans.

"What does Maia have to say about this idea?" I ask.

She scoffs, shaking her head. "Maia's answer was just very...Maia, you could say."

"So she said no."

"She didn't say no. She just said...nope?"

When she finishes her pile, she starts on another until only a few stray pieces of clothing remain. "I knew she wouldn't approve, and maybe I'm being crazy," she begins. "But I also thought, should we all really be staying home letting a bunch of criminals just run around dictating our lives?"

I reach out for her wrist, waiting until she looks at me. "Please don't think that you have to change your routine because of what is happening in my life."

As soon as I say the words, I begin to doubt myself. I couldn't be certain that Charlie wouldn't hurt my friends, too. If he didn't go after Sofia, what was to say that he wouldn't hurt someone else?

"Ree?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you okay?" she whispers.

There's Lay, always with the hard-hitting questions that throw you off balance momentarily. Luckily, I'm sitting on the floor.

"Yeah," I nod.

"You know what might take your mind off all of this?" she smiles softly.

"Going out?"

"Yes!" she claps. "I'll even do your hair and makeup."

"And pick my outfit for me?"

"And pick your outfit for you."

"Deal."

--------------------------------------------------------------

The music thumps so loudly in my ears that I wonder how regular club-goers don't have hearing problems. Or maybe they do. I wouldn't consider myself someone who knows many clubbers anymore. I wouldn't really consider myself anything but a safety hazard at this point.

I scan the room, almost like I'm looking for a potential threat. Who knows when I may get kidnapped next? Or just killed.

I snort, gulping down half of my vodka lime soda. Lay glances at me, frowning. "Are you drunk already?"