Thirty-Two | Told Truths

When I wake up, I don't know where I am. It's dark and I'm cold. My teeth begin to chatter and I realise that a heavy fog still seems to be controlling my thoughts.

At first, I think Charlie has kidnapped me again but then I recognise his scent and the comfortable leather of the car's interior beneath me.

I'm still drunk.

How long has it been since I left the club?

"You're awake."

I gasp in fright, clenching my chest.

Brax's car. The club. Him finding me.

Layla isn't sitting next to me anymore. I turn towards the side that she'd been sitting in before I fell asleep, finding it empty. I look out the window, realising that we are parked opposite my apartment building. When I squint, I notice Lay sitting on the front steps, holding her arms close to her chest.

"I should—"

My words are barely an audible slur as I reach for the door. I missed the handle three times. I begin to chuckle to myself like I've lost my mind. I probably have.

"She has your key. She just chose to sit outside," Brax says.

"Where's Sof?" I can barely keep my eyes open.

"I dropped her home first. She's been worried about you and seeing you like this didn't help."

"Okay?" I scoff.

The car falls silent. I give up on the door handle and sit back in my seat, staring at Brax's eyes through the rear-vision mirror. I don't appreciate the way he stares back. I can feel his disapproval.

"You don't get to do that," I say.

"Do what, Rhea?"

The way he says my name makes me shiver. I look away from his eyes, turning towards Lay. She's sitting on the steps, scrolling through her phone now.

"Judge."

"I'm not judging."

"I know all your face expressions. Facial. Facial expressions," I stumble. "Weren't you ever told it's rude to stare?"

"What happened tonight?" he asks.

"It's not a crime for me to get drunk," I retort.

"It should be when your life is in danger."

"Well, who is to blame for that?" I snap.

I wince, a headache suddenly blooming along my forehead. It thuds violently causing me to lean forward, hands on my knees.

"If you're going to vomit, I'd appreciate you doing it outside."

"Shut up," I grumble.

"Rhea—"

"Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"Saying my name!"

Oh god, why am I crying?

My cheeks are so damp that I wonder how I hadn't noticed it sooner. Everything feels so numb. I dig my nails into my knees and I feel nothing. All that is left behind are the half-crescent moons from my fingers.

"I need you to tell me what's going on. Truthfully."

"Truthfully?" I bark, my voice cracking. "I didn't realise you even knew the meaning of the word."

"Can we have a conversation without you bringing that up in anger?" he says. "I said I was sorry. But I won't take it back. I needed to leave you."