Chapter 3 - The shelter

Since his visit to Ragnor, Magnus had been thinking about Alec all week.

Alec spent the next two weeks busy with his lectures and studying. Fortunately, he studied easily, and didn't have to spend much time sitting over his books.

Friday came, which he was looking forward to because he only had a few classes at the university that day, and then he could go and help Ragnor. He did his usual work, tending to the animals recovering from surgery. He had a few kind words for each of them. He reassured them. Then Ragnor called her into his room

"Come on Alec, we're going to the shelter, we've been called to a cat in labour. Now you can see what to do."

They quickly got in the car and were at the shelter in 15 minutes.

"Look, this cat is perfectly healthy. There's nothing wrong, she's just a little exhausted. She just needs a little help, there are 2 more kittens."

After a few minutes rest, the cat gave birth to her third kitten. Then, after a short rest, the fourth one. But she didn't move. Ragnor acted quickly. He took a cloth, put the kitten in it and rubbed it gently. After a few minutes, the kitten moved.

"You see, there's no need to be frightened at a time like this, you have to try everything to keep the little one warm. She just needed a little help. Ragnor handed her to Alec.

"Warm her up a little more, she needs it. I'll go and do the paperwork."

Alec took the tiny kitten in his hands, warmed her. In his huge palm, the kitten was almost lost. When Ragnor was ready, he went back to him. He looked at the kitten.

"She's fine. It's all right, you can give her back to its mother."

While they went back to the vet office Alec was ecstatic.

"Ragnor, thank you for bringing me here to see this. I want to do this. I want to be a vet. Not a lawyer."

"Can't you convince your father that you don't want to be a lawyer?"

"No..." Alec said, exasperated, and didn't add more. Ranor knew there was more to this than Alec had told him. A few weeks ago, he'd seen some healing bruises on Alec's arm, but he didn't want to ask. He was waiting for Alec to take him into his confidence.

By the time they got back, the afternoon was gone and Alec had to go home. He didn't want to go home. He didn't like being at home. But his father was so strict with him. His father wouldn't let him move into a dorm or an apartment until he graduated at uni.

Alec finally arrived home with an hour late. The family had just finished dinner. Alec came in and, although he was very hungry, after a quiet greeting he went straight up to his room. He was halfway when his father coldly called out

"Alexander, to the study."

Alec froze, but after a moment he started back. He hated it when his father called him by his full name. He felt vulnerable. He looked at his mother for help, but she didn't dare speak. Alec noticed the purple bruises on her arm, too. He swallowed and went into the study.