Chapter 9 - Lazy day and the first...

Alec started to wake up 2 hours later to Snowflake's meowing, but he didn't open his eyes yet, he was so happy to be in Magnus' calming presence. Snowflake was sitting on Magnus' lap, meowing plaintively. Magnus spoke softly to her.

"I know, girl, you're hungry. I'll be right over and get you some of your favorite salmon food, but you see I can't move right now. We'll wait until Alexander wakes up, okay? He needs me right now. Oh, Snowflake, I'm starting to feel like I need him too. You're all I have. You're all my joy and support. But it feels so good to be near him. And even though I know he's a broken soul, I feel he can heal my broken soul. Maybe it's time for a change. What do you think?"

Snowflake looked at Magnus all the time. And when Magnus asked her what she thought, she answered with a small meow. "Good girl. I know you don't like it so much, but there's the dry food, eat some of that." Magnus said to the cat.

"Go and feed her. She needs the energy," Alec said in a sleepy, hoarse voice.

"Are you awake Alexander? How are you? Did you sleep well?" asked Magnus, and he could only hope that Alec hadn't heard his earlier conversation with his cat.

Alec rose from Magnus' shoulder, stretched, and looked at Magnus with eyes still puffy and sleepy from crying. He smiled.

"My soul has probably never been so calm, Magnus. I don't know how you felt it, or how you knew, but it was just what I needed. Not words, not consolations, but what you gave me. Quiet understanding and caring. Thank you."

Alec smiled, feeling weightless, and stared into Magnus' eyes. Those beautiful chocolate eyes he now saw without make-up. He still found them beautiful. They gazed at each other for a few moments, only to be interrupted by Snowflake's demanding mew. They both looked at her and laughed.

"Come on girl" said Magnus, you get to eat. He got up, and a Snowflake followed right behind. He took out the salmon pouch, when he opened it Alec brought Snowflake's plate. They didn't even notice, but they did it in perfect synchronicity, as if they did it every day, as if they'd lived together for a long time. They carried the bowl to where Snowflake and the kittens were lying, and while Snowflake ate, they admired the sleeping kittens. They were all white like Snowflake, except for one, whose 4 little paws and the end of his tail was tabby. He was the smallest. He had to be revived. Snowflake finished eating, washed up, and then cuddled up to the kittens, who immediately crawled over to her and started eating.

"You're a good mum, Snowflake," Alec told her, and stroked her head. Magnus, have you thought about what you're going to call the little ones? Do you even want to keep them?" asked Alec.

"I don't know, I haven't thought about it. I don't know what's best for Snowflake. I'll ask Ragnor. He gave me Snowflake as a present. The apartment is big enough, although living with six cats might not be the best idea." Magnus laughed. "But I think I'd definitely want to keep the smallest one, with tabby pows one you brought back to life."

"Did Ragnor give you Snowflake? I didn't know that. When?"

"I have had Snowflake for 3 years. When I came home from the hospital, Ragnor gave her to me. She was still quite small, but she gave me a task and a goal so that I wouldn't get completely lost in the past. I had to take care of her and raise her. At that time I knew nothing about cats, I never had a pet. So Ragnor gave me a meowing little furball, and I didn't even know how to keep her alive. As you can see, I managed." Magnus pointed to the kitten family. "But without her, I don't know where I'd be right now. She' s given my life a new purpose. She's my family. Don't you think it's time for tea? Some jasmine tea?"

Magnus suddenly changed the subject, indicating that he didn't want to talk about this memory any more. Alec had a good sense for small emotional impulses, so he noted the new piece of information and asked nothing, although he sensed that there was something very deep behind Magnus' words. But he waited patiently.