Chapter 20 - Fortitude

It took 20 minutes by cab to get there. The tattoo shop was empty, only Clary was there.

"Hi Biscuit. This is Magnus."

"Hi, I'm Clary, but everyone calls me Biscuit." She held out her hand to Magnus, her arms completely covered in colorful tattoos.

"Magnus, that shade of black and purple on your nails is beautiful. I like the color. And your makeup, too. I like you already."

"Thank you, Biscuit."

"Come, let's go to my private room."

Magnus looked curiously at Alec. "Clary has a private room here. She gets a lot of people who don't like to be tattooed in the public area."

"You tattoo celebrities?" asked Magnus

"No. I tattoo a lot of injured people. I used to tattoo on scars, severed limbs, cuts. It requires a completely different technique than tattooing on healthy skin, and there aren't that many of us who specialize in that, so I have a lot of clients, but it's a much more intimate thing, so it's always just the two of us in the room."

They entered the room and Magnus was speechless. It was not at all what he had expected to see in a tattoo shop.

"Biscuit, it's beautiful" he looked around the room. The walls were purple, covered with pictures of tattoos and photos of injured tattooed people. Next to the wall was a large bookshelf full of professional and medical books. There was a large soft carpet in the middle of the room with a tattoo bed, a chair and a drawing table full of drawings.

"Did Jace say anything to you about yesterday?"

"He said you found something about your father, but he can't give me any details yet, and he gave me that piece of paper you sent. He said to take care of Magnus and that he needed special treatment."

Magnus looked at them gratefully. No words were needed.

"Alec, do you know that your drawing is very similar to a rune I drew for a TV production? The actors were covered in rune tattoos like that. I designed them. Look, there they are on the wall. The one you drew looks like this one." Clary pointed to one of them.

"The Fortitude rune. You know what it represents?"

"Not at all" said Magnus

"It provides a warrior with unshakable resolve, will, inner strength; the strength of mind that enables a Nephilim to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage."

"Really, they're hardly different, and what it represents is just right for Magnus." Alec said

"A few questions. Jace told me not to redraw, that's exactly what you want. Is that right?"

"Yes, let's not change anything if we can." Magnus said

"Okay. Color? I would suggest black." Please take off your shirt, I'll see if the size is right."

"Biscuit, hold on a second, okay? Magnus? Are you okay? Do you want it? You want to tell her or should I?"

"I'm a bit nervous, but I'm fine. I say. Biscuit, I have scars. You should tattoo this on a scar. And if I didn't have to take my shirt off completely, but we could make it so that only my shoulder was uncovered, I'd be very grateful."

"Oh, so that's why Jace didn't say anything. Sure Magnus, no problem. Then I'll give you a surgical gown, you put it on, and we'll cut out the part where you want the tattoo. But I'll have to check the scar to see if it's even possible to tattoo. Is that okay?"

"Yes, that would be perfect, thank you."

"Here's a sterile gown, you put it on, I'm going out. Alec, can you help him?"