Chapter 15 - Petals

On Friday, Magnus had a meeting with his publisher. They had a slightly more time for breakfast because Magnus could drive Alec to the university. When they arrived Alec asked

"Are you going to be OK Magnus? Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"No, I'll manage, it'll take an hour, and there'll only be three of us in the meeting room. Then I'm going home."

"OK, take care of yourself, and if you feel sick, call me immediately. I'll leave my phone on vibrate during the lecture. When you get home, at least write me a note so I don't worry, okay?"

"I will, don't worry. See you in the afternoon."

"Magnus, you haven't forgotten that it's Friday and I'm going to help Ragnor today, have you? I'll be home around 8 pm. "

"Yes, I know, but go now, you'll be late", he gave Alec a light kiss.

On the way to the publisher's, he thought, it's okay to be Alec at Ragnor's, because it will give him time to prepare for the evening date. He wanted to surprise Alec, because a week ago, when they thought he was going to dorm, he had invited him to dinner tonight. Plans for an unforgettable evening were forming in his head.

Meanwhile, Magnus arrived at the publisher. He went straight to the conference room. Catarina was waiting for him.

"Magnus, it's been a long time" she hugged him, then looked at him more closely and said. "Magnus, you are glowing. Your clothes, your make-up, but most of all the sparkle in your eyes. Yes, your eyes sparkle like they used to. Did something happen?"

Magnus smiled.

"Magnus, you're smiling and blushing, my God, you're blushing. Okay, I want to know everything, but I want to know now.

"Catarina, I've just entered, I didn't say a word, how did you guess?"

"Sweetheart, I've been working with whimsical writers for 20 years. I've known you for 5 years, you're an open book." Catarina said.

"His name is Alexander and he is the purest soul I have ever met. Catarina,
I'm in love."

"I can see that clearly Magnus, I can see it in the sparkle of your eyes. I am happy for you. You deserve happiness more than anyone. Hmmm... sensitive question... does he know?"

"Yes Cat, he does. Everything."

"Then I have no doubt it's really serious between you two. I can't wait to meet him."

And then a soft knocking broke the intimate conversation.

"Come in."

The door opened, and a young boy of about 18 stood there shyly.

"Meliorn, come in. This is Magnus Bane, your editor. We're here to discuss what's next."

"Good afternoon Catarina, Good afternoon Mr. Bane." Meliorn said shyly. Is everything all right with the book?

"Call me Magnus, please. It's all right, we always have a meeting before the end of the job to go over the progress together."

Meliorn sighed heavily. "This is my first book and I thought something was wrong."

"Meliorn, your book is amazing, I hardly had to touch it, it is perfect as it is. The storyline is a little fuzzy at one point, let's talk that through and I'll have it done in 2 weeks."

Everything was discussed, Meliorn approved Magnus' suggestions. Then he left.

Magnus also said goodbye to Catarina, but she called after him. "Wait Magnus, do you have 5 minutes to discuss the next job? There's a manuscript I'd like you to edit."