Chapter 18 - Rune

The presence of Snowflake and the tabby kitten reassured Magnus and Alec.

"Magnus, listen to me, I don't... We'll never use this. I don't want you to go through any more suffering because of these memories. You just started writing again, we're happy. We have plans. I won't use this case against my father. We'll keep looking. We'll find something else. I'm deleting all files from my laptop and the pendrive right now."

He carefully took the little tabby in his hand, put it on Magnus' lap next to Snowflake, and went to the desk. Magnus sat in silence. His eyes were full of tears, which slowly began to roll down the curve of his cheeks. Alec started to select the files to be deleted, but Magnus suddenly stopped him.

"Alexander, wait, don't delete it."

"What are you saying Magnus? Why not?"

"Let's think about this again" said Magnus

"But, honey, your face is all tears now, you've suffered enough. You need peace of mind, not more harassment over the case. I can't bear it when you cry and feel sad. You are more important to me than anything."

"Alexander, it's not like that" Magnus stood up, put the cats on the sofa and walked over to Alec. He pulled his hand away from the laptop. He kissed it and brushed Alec's large palm against his tear-stained cheek

"It's not that, that's not why you see me crying. The way you said that you didn't want to cause me any more suffering, the way you would sacrifice the results of your work in a moment just to spare me the pain, it was such an emotional shock that I started crying, not from the pain, but from the sweet knowledge that you would sacrifice everything for me without a second thought. I was simply overwhelmed with emotion when I felt how selflessly you loved me."

Alec pulled Magnus close to him, gently cupped both sides of his face and they shared a long, passionate kiss.

"Of course I love you. I love you more than anything, Magnus."

"I love you too Alexander. Wait a little more, don't do anything rash. Come, let's sit down on the sofa and talk about this calmly."

"Magnus, there's nothing to discuss..." said Alec, but then Magnus put his index finger over Alec's mouth.

"Wait, let me tell you. Of course, I was shocked when I saw the pictures of myself. Yes, I won't deny it, the sudden shock made me go limp and collapse. But that weakness and despair passed when I felt your comforting closeness. And these two beauties," he stroked Snowflake and the little tabby, "were amazing. I didn't feel what I used to feel. I saw the pictures, it shocked me for a moment, but I don't feel weak, I don't feel ashamed, I don't feel like throwing my life away because of it. All because I have you Alexander. So let's think this through. We already knew that your father's firm was protecting these bastards. And yes, it was clear that their punishment was too light. Now we know why. Somebody here paid somebody off, or blackmailed somebody, and your father's law firm is involved in this. And if you and Izzy can prove that the firm is corrupt and guilty, and your father can get the punishment he deserves, I won't stop you. I'd be even happier if the five bastards who tortured me got their deserved punishment."

Alec looked at his Love in admiration.

"Magnus, I have no words. You are brave and strong. And if you really feel that way, I can't argue with you. My father made both our lives miserable. If we could get back at him with this, and he and these brutal bastards could be punished legally, it would be satisfying."

"You make me feel strong, sweetheart. Together we are stronger than your father. I believe we can do this. Let's see what we have."

"A good start, but not enough. We should investigate the case, watch my father's office. According to the files, there's still a connection between the gang and the law firm, but I don't know what. Maybe they're using them for pressure. I wouldn't put us in any danger of investigating them on our own. They're not low-level criminals. You're a writer, and I'm still in college. We're way out of their league. If anything happened to you, I wouldn't survive."