Chapter 11 - The study

They said goodbye to Maryse and went home to Magnus' apartment. Snowflake was looking forward to seeing them, not used to being alone as Magnus was home with her almost all the time. When they entered the apartment she ran up to them and rubbed herself against Alec's leg.

"Snowflake, I'm here too" Magnus said, offended. Snowflake looked insulted at him, turned his back and went back to her bed.

"I think you'll have to appease her with something delicious." Alec said with a laugh. "You don't leave her alone much, do you?"

"Yes, I've had her with me since the accident and I rarely leave the house since then. She' s not used to being on her own. You can unpack in your room, put my clothes on a shelf in the wardrobe, then there will be enough space for yours. I'll go and appease the drama queen." Magnus said.

By the time Alec had unpacked, peace was sacred between Snowflake and Magnus.

"What did you do to appease her?"

"The secret is raw salmon. " said Magnus, laughing. "I can get her off her feet with that any time."

"Snowflake's have a good life. Lots of people don't even buy their own salmon, and you have Snowflake eating it. But don't misunderstand me, I didn't mean it in a bad way," Alec retorted.

Magnus laughed " No problem Alexander, we'll live under the same roof now. You can see that I have no reason to complain financially."

"I had no idea that book editing could be such a profitable profession." said Alec

"Well... yeah. it's pretty good. " said Magnus hesitantly. Alec waited a moment for the continuation, but Magnus finished the subject.

Magnus, I'd like to ask you if you have a desk somewhere that I could use. There is none in the guest room and I need a desk where I can study and write.

"Sure, in my study."

"Is there a study here? Where?" asked Alec, wondering.

"Yes, there is, come, I'll show you. You won't see it from here, it's a bit hidden."

Magnus went to the end of the apartment, to the windows. There they turned right, and a thin corridor appeared.

"Wow, Magnus, I couldn't see this corridor before."

"Yes, it's my favorite part of this apartment, come on" They walked down the hallway and stopped at the end in front of a large double door.

"Now I'm going to show you something that 2 people know about besides me. Here is my study," Magnus said, proudly opening the door. Alec saw a huge room. There were even more books than in the living room. It was furnished with two desks, a sofa, and a spectacularly comfortable rocking chair, with beautiful antique furniture. It was in complete contrast to the rest of the modern minimalist apartment. The walls were covered with fabric wallpaper with beautiful paintings. On the floor was a huge soft carpet. Alec's jaw literally dropped.

"Magnus, it's beautiful. It's a shrine. Do you work here?"

"Yes, and I'm letting you have one of the desks. I very rarely use two, only when I'm working on several books at once, but not right now, so feel free to use it."

Alec put down his laptop and books and looked around. He walked over to the wall-to-wall bookshelf and ran his hand along the spines of the most beautiful books. Suddenly his eyes caught 3 books side by side.

"Magnus, this is the book I bring with me, my favorite book by Matthew Archer, do you like it?"

He asked enthusiastically, and before Magnus could say anything, he had the first book pulled out. He didn't look up in the meantime, so he couldn't see that Manus had gone white, frozen completely. He opened his mouth to say something, but no sound came out of his throat.

Alec opened the book and his jaw dropped. "First edition, first copy? Jeez Magnus, that's amazing. how did you get it?" He quickly pulled the other two books, they were first editions too. Now he finally looked up and saw Magnus standing there, white as a ghost.

"Are you all right Magnus? you've gone completely pale.

"Alexander, could you get me a glass of cold water, I can't breathe."

"I'll get it right away, please sit down on the couch. I'll be back in a minute," Alec said, terrified.

Meanwhile, Snowflake arrived. She sensed Magnus was suffering, she was a therapy cat after all, it was her job to soothe the troubled soul. She immediately jumped onto Magnus' lap and started purring. Magnus stroked her, and he could already feel the panic attack beginning to disappear.

"Thank you Snowflake. You can't be fooled, can you? You always know when I need you. I'll tell him. Now, when he comes back. For the first time in 3 years, I'll talk about it. I feel strong, I trust him. I think it's time. What do you think?" Snowflake gave a low, agreeing meow.

Alec returned with the water, handed it to Magnus, and sat down beside him on the couch.

"Magnus, what happened? You're scaring me. Feeling better?"

"Yes, thank you Alexander. Listen, I have to tell you something. I know we've only been together a few days, but somehow I trust you like I've never trusted anyone in my life. Now I've decided to tell you my unspoken secrets. " He took a big sip of cold water.

"Magnus, you honor me, but only when you're really ready. I trust you, whatever happened in the past. It doesn't change the way I feel. " Alec said.

"Alexander, I've never been more sure of anything in my life lately. Something's changed in me since you've been with me, since I feel that... that... that you like me, and you don't see me as a monster."

Alec said nothing, overcome with emotion, he leaned over to Magnus and kissed him softly. Their lips began to move in sync, Alec using his tongue to ask for entrance. Magnus gave it to him. They deepened the kiss. There was no dominance. There was unconditional love in this kiss. When they ran out of breath, their lips parted. They rested their foreheads on each other. They were gasping for breath.

"Magnus, there is nothing ugly about you I... I... love you." Alec breathed, barely audible.

"Alexander, I love you too," said Magnus. I don't know why, but I don't feel it's too early to say it."

They looked at each other and hugged each other tightly. Alec hissed from the tight embrace, his chest still aching, but he ignored it. Snowflake, who had been sitting on Magnus' lap, snuggled in between them. They both laughed. We love you too, Snowflake.

They sat in silence for a few moments, then Magnus started to speak. "You found the first copy of that book because these are my books."

"Yes, I have it, I brought it to you, but how did you get the first one? "

"No, Alexander, I mean, these are my books. I wrote them." Magnus said

Alec blinked for a while until he understood Magnus' words. Then his jaw dropped, his mouth hanging open. He opened it several times, but no sound came out of his throat. Magnus gently stroked his cheek and smiled.

"Are you Matthew Archer? Are you a writer?"

"Yes Alexander, that's what I just said."

"My favorite writer? I don't believe it! How? So you're not an editor?" Alec thought for a moment. "You weren't telling the truth about your work?" He asked tentatively, with a bad feeling.

"Alexander, I would never lie to you. I told the truth. I am an editor. I haven't written a book in 3 years. When I recovered, I was in a bad mental condition. I was unable to write a single line. That hasn't changed since then. When my publisher saw this, they offered me an editorial job so that I wouldn't completely cut myself off from literature. I have been working with them ever since. But to go back to your earlier question, I obviously don't live on an editor's salary. My books have sold very well, and continue to sell to this day. It's ironic considering that it was these books that caused my life to completely collapse."

Alec looked at him, confused but loving. "Thank you for being honest. I'm sorry I asked, but sincerity is very important to me, and I'm a little confused. Even now I don't really understand. Did your life fall apart because of your books? What happened?"