Chapter 19 - Coincidence?

On Monday, Maryse called Luke and asked him to meet her at a nearby cafe at 10.30am, and then asked Alec to meet them there at 11am.

Maryse and Luke arrived and greeted each other.

Maryse briefly outlined the situation and said that the boys would be along shortly to explain everything in detail. In the meantime they had coffee and talked.

"It's been a long time since we sat together like this. Are you all right? Have you finally found happiness? " asked Maryse, thinking about the past.

"I had 10 happy years, but I've been alone for a while. To this day, I regret not fighting for you, but accepting your decision, you know?" said Luke quietly, as he took Maryse's hand across the table and held it in his palm. Maryse did not pull away. It felt good to be cared for, to be respected as a woman and treated kindly. She almost didn't remember that feeling. She blushed.

"I also regret not encouraging you more." Maryse replied sadly.

"How are your days?" she asked

"I've been focusing on my work since I buried Agatha".

They talked about the past and present, calmly, in agreement. Meanwhile Luke continued to hold Maryse's hand.

The boys arrived and introduced themselves. Then Magnus got up to order the coffee.

"Mom, Luke, you guys want another one?"

"I'll have a cake, dear, thank you."

"I'll have another coffee, black."

Magnus returned a short time later with a tray full of coffee. Alec jumped up and took it from him.

"Let me help you, love," he said.

They had coffee and told Luke all about the case. About the attack on Magnus and the domestic violence Robert had committed. Luke was horrified to hear what Maryse and Alec had to endure at home.

"Magnus, I remember your case. I even worked on it. I remember how easily we caught the gang, and I remember how upset we got when we heard the verdict. Those bastards deserved jail time, not a fine. But unfortunately there was nothing we could do. Our hands were tied. We gave all the evidence we had during the investigation. But now that we can connect the law firm to the case, we can start investigating and even ask for a retrial in your case. Have you brought the pendrive?"

"We made a copy," Alec said, and handed it to Luke.

"Luke, what do we do now?" asked Alec.

"Nothing. I say again, nothing. This gang is dangerous. If your dad or his colleagues get wind that we're investigating them, they could destroy the evidence. Stay calm and away from the case. This is important. If you draw their attention, it could damage the investigation, not to mention your own safety. And you don't want that, and neither do we. My team and I are launching an official investigation. I'll keep you informed. Here's my phone number. You can always reach me on that. If you see anything unusual, you can call even at night."

"Thank you Luke"

Magnus and Alec said goodbye and headed home. They didn't live far away, so they walked.

Did you see how mom held Luke's hand the whole time? It feels strange, but I'm happy for them. Mom deserves happiness.

"Yes, they were so sweet. Alexander. I hope your father doesn't find out before time. Listen, I don't know if this is relevant, but I saw Camille again today. She was at the café. When I placed my order, she was sitting at a corner table in the back. I thought she hadn't noticed me, but isn't it weird that I saw her twice in a short time?"