Camping Trip

Marie's POV

I ran through the trees, branches smacking me in the face. I could hear it behind me. It wasn't stalking it's prey anymore. It was chasing it's prey.

I didn't look back to see how close that monstrous wolf was. I could hear it close behind me. I knew it could already have taken me down, it wanted the chase.

I tripped and went flying down an incline. I screamed.

One Week Earlier

"Marie, pack a bag for the trip this weekend. We're leaving when school let's out on Friday."

"Ok, Dad. I'll pack my bag."

I yelled back to him, while texting my friends. I hadn't been on a trip since I was 14 when mom went with us. I didn't see the point. I only went because mom kept Bryan off my back. Dad and Bryan still went but I'd stop going a year after mom died.

The week went by really fast. It was Friday and we were on our way to the old camp grounds. We set everything up and about dusk everything went wrong.

I watched horrified as the wolf jumped on Dad's back. Bryan had the gun and aimed it at the creature and fired once, but we heard the sickening crunch as it snapped Dad's neck.

I screamed. Bryan yanked me to my feet. And we ran, soon the monster caught up to us Bryan told me to keep running, while he stopped to fight it.

Present Time

Strong hands wrapped around my arms yanking me into a cabin. I gasped for air, but couldn't breathe.

The stranger knelt down in front of me, "Breathe, sweetie. I got you. Breathe."

I sobbed and he yanked me against his chest soothing me. He murmured nonsense words, while I cried over the loss of my dad and brother.

A couple of hours later I had calmed down enough to tell him what happened.

"Well, Mr. Rick will be getting a visit from me tomorrow and if I see that mutt of his I'm blowing its brains out."

"What do you mean? That wasn't a dog! It was mutation! It killed the only family I had left!" I shouted.

The guy looked familiar, but I couldn't place where I knew him from. He laughed at me then. And I gasped. He was the guy from my nightmares.