Chapter 8

Luna tried to think of what she could do. Had this been back in her world, she would not have been afraid of the Egyptian god cards. But in here, things played by the rules in the anime. Spells and traps had no effect on the god cards. Once played, they were virtually invincible.

If she ran, they surely would get to Joey, take the millennium puzzle and possibly his life. It would be like dooming this world with this single action. She couldn't have that though, she wasn't a part of this world but ever since she appeared in the side of the street near KC Tower, she felt like this was where she belonged.

What am I thinking? I am Luna!

If she had to duel, she just had one strategy. She had to keep the god card from ever being played. She had to keep Strings from having three monsters at once on the field.

"You haven't run yet, does that mean you want to duel?" Strings asked as he stood up in such a way that he seemed like a puppet being raised by invisible strings.

"Isn't it obvious, freak?" She asked as she quickly grabbed a few cards from her extra deck box and inserted the cards into her deck. "It's time to duel!"

"And why should I duel you?" Strings asked before laughing mockingly.

"Because I know where Obelisk the Tormentor is." She said immediately, hoping that Marik hadn't already obtained all three cards in this world.

His laugh immediately stopped.

"I guess you are more than meets the eye, little girl." Strings said shuffling his stance in a sickening puppeteered motion. "What do you get out of this duel, though?"

"If I win," Luna said taking a deep breath to calm her nerves. "you give me Slifer the Sky Dragon."

Strings completely stood still for a moment. Long enough for Luna to wonder if time had stood still, but he quickly shuffled his stance again.

"I changed my mind." His voice grew more serious. "It seems you are a big player after all, and too dangerous to leave for later. It is time to duel, little girl."

Both duel disks beeped to signal synchronization and the number 4000 appeared on her duel disk as it shuffled her deck automatically. She drew four cards.

Neos Fusion, Red-Eyes Black Dragon, Power of the Guardians, and her newly added card Delinquent Duo.

She quickly drew an extra card as she remembered that one had to call dibs on who starts.

"I'll start things off!" She looked at her drawn card. Polymerization. "And I activate Neos Fusion! It lets me summon a Neos fusion monster using materials from my deck!"

She quickly chose Elemental HERO Neos and Red-Eyes Wyvern.

"And I summon Elemental HERO Brave Neos!" And as she said it, a fissure appeared in space in front of her and out of it came her monster. "His attack increases by 100 attack points per HERO monster in my graveyard, making his attack 2600! That should be enough for whatever you can throw at me, so I pass."

"An impressive first move." Strings said, his head dropping a few centimeters as if not attached to his neck but by some invisible string in the air. "But you aren't ready for what I have in store!"

Strings drew a card and laughed. It was a terrifying sight as he was completely expressionless despite the maniacal laugh.

"It seems destiny is on my side today!" He said as he placed his newly drawn card in the back of his hand and picked a different one to the front. "I summon Revival Jam in defense position!"