Chapter 9

Luna woke up in her hospital bed. She had been bandaged all over after her duel. She took some time to try to process everything that had happened since she had appeared in this world. She had felt like she had belonged here before, but wasn't so sure anymore. Someone was dead because of h-

"You got that long face of overthinking again, Luna." Joey's voice came from beside her.

Luna turned her head to see Wheeler laying down on the bed beside hers. He looked to be in a much better shape than a few days back.

"I've been meaning to say-" Luna said as she grabbed Slifer the Sky Dragon from her deckbox and handed it to Joey. "-you should probably keep this."

Luna could have sworn that she saw his hand twitch once. But Joey simply looked at the card without taking it.

"You think I like handouts?" He asked with a sarcastic smile.

"No, it's just that-" She paused for a second, but this was Joey, he knew. "-this is supposed to be the Pharaoh's dragon. There are three Egyptian god cards in play right now. Seto has Obelisk, Marik has Ra. Yugi was supposed to have Slifer."

Joey looked down at the card once again before looking up at Luna again with a more serious expression.

"And since Yugi is not here, and you are carrying the Millennium Puzzle, I figured you would be the best one to use Slifer." Luna finished with her hand still outstretched, insisting that Joey take the card. "Come on, man. Just take the card, my arm is getting tired."

"I have this strange sensation that you should keep it." He finally answered as he gently pushed her hand back towards her. "The spirit of the pharaoh seems to agree."

"I see you are still spewing on about pharaohs and spirits, Wheeler." Seto's voice came from beside Luna, making her quickly turn to face him.

Did he come to see me?

"Aw, did you come see me, Kaiba boy?" Joey mocked.

"Don't be ridiculous." Seto scoffed. "I am here to see Luna."

Her heart skipped a beat.

"What?" Joey asked, looking from Kaiba to Luna. "Are you serious? Don't tangle yourself with rich boy, Luna. I'm much better looking, and all around a better person! Ain't that right, Kaiba?"

"If by better looking and better person you mean inbred and shit for brains, then absolutely, Wheeler." Seto said without even batting an eye, before turning his attention back to Luna and handing her what looked to be a get well card. "How are you feeling?"

She received the card and opened it.

Battle City needs you!

Get better soon!

-Mokuba

P.S. Can I take a look at Slifer next time we see each other?

"I'm okay, feeling better already." Luna answered, happy to receive a card from Mokuba and almost giddy that Seto cared.

"Did you hit your head?" Seto asked as he put his soft and warm hand, ever so gently, against her forehead.

"No?" She answered, uncertain of why he would think that.

"Then why are you offering one of the most powerful cards in the world to someone like him?" His tone became colder instantly.

The butterflies were gone. She moved Seto's hand away and glared at him.

"Don't you see there is more going on here than meets the eye, Seto?" She asked.