The Truth

"Drugs, Ashton." Luke spoke shortly, as he shuffled his papers together.

"I'm telling you," Ashton spoke "I don't think that's true."

Luke came to a stop, and turned around to face Ashton. "Based on what?"

He shrugged and leaned on the counter next to him. "Based on talking with her, she seems very mature and intelligent."

"We still have to test her." Luke spoke, honestly.

Ashton sighed and turned toward the door, "I have to at least talk to her about it first."

"Ashton." Luke called from behind him.

"Don't get too attached."

Ashton shook his head and left to go find Alice.
———————————————————-
"Knock knock." She heard come from the door.

She looked up right as Ashton stepped into the room.

"Heya Kido!"

She smiled lightly as he bounced into the room.

Ashton sat down on the end of her bed, and began talking.

"So, I have some news.." he began.

Alice's ears perked up at this, and she gestured for him to continue.

"New information has come back on your case, and we have new testing orders on you." He explained.

"Testing orders?" She questioned.

"Can you just answer me honestly for a second?" Ashton asked, hoping that she would relieve his fears.

"Have you taken, sold, or ever owned any drugs?"

She sat, stunned for a second at the harsh question.

"No." She said, dryly.

"You think I'm on drugs now? That's a really big accusation to make." She spoke, crossing her arms.

"Well.." Ashton trailed.

"Well what?"

"The authorities ordered a drug test on you." He explained.

"So? That doesn't mean-"

"They don't do that for just any reason, Alice." Ashton defended.

"I told you the truth. Like you asked." She spoke, flatly.

They both turned as Luke made himself known in the room.

"Then I cant wait to see that negative result." He said, trying to ease the tension.

Alice laid back down in order to distance herself from the man sitting at the bottom of her bed.

Luke came around to her side and began prepping a bunch of materials on a tray.

"I just need a quick blood sample then I'll be out of your way, I promise." Luke spoke, as he finished setting things up.

Alice ignored him, as she tried to avoid the tears that had found their way into her eyes.

"Ashton," Luke spoke, glancing up at his friend. "Why don't you step out for a little?"

Ashton nodded with a small frown on his face, as he made his way toward the door.

"Are you alright?" Luke asked, as he tied a small band around Alice's arm.

"I'm fine." She spoke shortly.

Luke continued pressing on her arm in different places, trying to get a vein with no luck.

"I'm sorry I've caused so much trouble." She spoke, after a long bit of silence.

Luke shook his head, as he glanced up at her.

"You're not any trouble, Ms. Landry. Dr. Irwin's just a little tense at the moment."

"Because of me." She spoke, sadly.

"He'll come around," Luke spoke. "He's just upset right now."

She nodded as Luke put down the needle, defeated.

"Have you been drinking and eating enough?" Luke asked, looking up at her.

"I... guess so?" She said, confused.

Luke shook his head, "That was no where near confident enough."