Logic

Ashton:

I ran my fingers through my hair out of frustration. This was by far one of my hardest cases to date.

It's not that I didn't believe her.

It's that I wasn't sure how it was possible.

Molecular blood panels don't show positive results for anything but the drug traces.

And, it just so happened to be the same drug found in the backpack she was carrying.

"I didn't want to be right." Luke said as he rounded the corner into the doctor's lounge. I shook my head in response before resting my forehead against the wall.

"How can I be sure this isn't some type of foul play?" I asked him, glancing up only long enough to see him pinch the bridge of his nose.

"Calum and I met with her parents, and they seemed nothing but concerned." He stressed to me.

"I'm not blaming them, Luke." I shot back. "It could've been a friend, a kid from school, a drug dealer on the street..."

"Ashton," Luke said, now standing directly in front of me. "Look at the facts here. She was brought in from a police station, has a history of misdemeanors, and is now facing felony charges. As much as I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, you must admit the cards aren't in her favor here." He said.

I hated the fact that everything he had just stated was logical.

He, in this instance, was right.

"I did a conditional discharge," I spoke to him, fully prepared for him to disagree with that decision.

"I think that's for the best." He said, turning to exit the lounge.

"There are some things that still don't add up."