Mission

Luke:

I had no clue what had happened in that room, but I knew whatever it was, wasn't good.

I had walked in to inform Calum that the police called and said they were close, but the minute I stepped foot into the room, I could tell something was up.

Alice sat on the floor with blood on her neck, while Calum sat beside her, looking like a ghost.

Ashton looked like a wreck, stress visible on his face.

Confused as ever, I did as asked and stood guard in front of the door.

And just as Ashton predicted the police showed up shortly after. They had a knack for always arriving at the worst times.

I quickly shut the door behind me, so they couldn't hear what we discussed.

"Hi, we're here to take Mrs. Alice Landry into custody." One of the two officers spoke, crossing his arms over his chest.

"We're running a little behind, so please sit in the waiting room," I replied, nodding toward the small room we had for families.

"We were told that she's ready." One replied, annoyance obvious in his voice.

"Well, I'm sorry to inform you of a slight change of plans. We're currently dealing with a medical emergency regarding Mrs. Landry. So, we would appreciate your patience." I spit out, frustrated.

"We're on the clock." The other officer said. I looked at him, confused about what that had to do with anything.

"We must be within 15 feet of her at all times." He explained.

"That's not currently going to be possible," I spoke, holding my ground.

"Are you interfering with our job, doctor?" One of the officers spat.

"Possibly. However, I assure you that I'm doing mine correctly. Mrs. Landry currently has a 1-inch incision on her neck that could be fatal if not treated immediately." I said, "not to mention that our head Psychiatrist has retracted his clearance; therefore, she is no longer released to you."

"On what condition is she not releasable?"

'On the condition of one of our doctors said no, and that's all you need to know." I spit back at him, fully angry now.

"They can't hold her for no reason." They continued.

"Do I need to get the chief to help sort this out?" I asked as a last resort.

"That won't be necessary," a third officer who had just arrived stepped in. "Sorry for the trouble; we're happy to wait." He said, gritting his teeth at his coworkers and stalking off.

I let out a breath, happy to be done.
Mission complete.