Until Today

Ashton led me down the now somewhat familiar hallways. If I had a guess, we were on our way back to his office.

As I followed him closely while his hand lightly held mine, we suddenly came to an abrupt stop.
A police officer was now standing in front of Ashton. I could immediately sense a change in his body language and tone.

He said nothing to either the cop or me but instead put his body in front of mine, creating a barrier between the officer and me.

"Is there a reason you're now interrupting my work?" Ashton asked, clearly agitated.

"She's not to be roaming the halls and out of her room without an officer on standby." The man spoke, crossing his arms over his chest. "Not to mention she's not even properly detained." He finished.

"Detained?" Ashton questioned.

"Cuffed." He spoke matter of factly. Ashton immediately ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"We'll you're doing a great job keeping us out in the hallways for an even longer amount of time." Irwin pointed out, now typing something into the pager. The officer just rolled his eyes and held his ground.

Ashton briskly pulled me into an open room within the hallway.

"Stay here while I get this handled, okay?" He asked, looking to me. I nodded, going to sit on one of the chairs by the bed. I didn't want to mess up a perfectly fine room that wasn't mine.

Even though Ashton had tactfully closed the door behind him when he exited, I could still hear their conversation outside the door.

"Is there a problem here?" An unfamiliar male's voice spoke out.

"Not one that has anything to do with you." The voice I recognized as the officer responded.

"If there's any problem at all, it has something to do with me." The male replied firmly. "This is my hospital, after all."

"My bad, sir." The officer now apologized, "I wasn't aware of who you were."

"Obviously." I heard Ashton huff.

"Mind telling me why you're interrupting Dr. Irwin's work?" The chief asked.

"He's interfering with my job."

"Please," Ashton responded to the officer, clearly annoyed. "The only one interfering with anyone's job is you."

"What is bothering your work?" I heard the chief ask, presumably toward the officer.

"Your Doctor over here isn't properly detaining and escorting a felon."

"She is NOT a felon." I heard Ashton nearly shout.

"Practically." The cop responded, immediately making my stomach drop. I felt my hands begin to shake as their conversation continued.

"How does the patient need to be transported throughout the hospital?" The chief questioned.

"Fully cuffed and with an officer within 10 feet." The cop said.

"No child should have to be cuffed before proven guilty," Ashton spoke firmly.

"She's under investigation." He quipped back.

"For a NON-VIOLENT crime," Ashton emphasized. "What if I transport her via wheelchair?" He then asked. "Would that keep her from having to constantly be under handcuffs?

"She could still try and take off." The officer replied.

"Trust me." Ashton started, "the fastest way to make her panic and try and escape is to restrain her."

In all the arguing happening right outside the door, and despite the number of times I'd been called a criminal, a small amount of warmth and happiness spread over the feelings of hurt.
The fact that Ashton cared enough to try to keep me from panicking, and the fact he had remembered what set me off the most, made me so happy.

It was something no one else had ever taken the time to pay attention to.

No one had ever cared.

Until today.

"One officer walking behind, and 209 in a wheelchair. Deal?" I heard the officer speak, breaking through my thoughts.

"Deal." I heard Ashton agree.

A small tear slipped down my face as I heard him re-enter the room.

"Woah, what's wrong, hun?" He asked, immediately crouching beside the chair.

I shook my head and smiled as I looked at him, causing confusion to take over his facial expressions.

"I'm not sad," I explained, now coming to a stand. "Can I hug you?" I asked.

Still, as confused, if not more, he nodded and opened his arms.

I walked straight into the hug that I'd been needing for years.

More tears welled in my eyes as the hug continued; I never wanted to let go.

"Are you okay, Alice?" Ashton asked, rubbing my back lightly.

"Amazing."

"Is that sarcastic?" He questioned as I pulled away, breaking our hug.

"Not in the slightest."