Speechless

Michael smiled at my statement, while Ashton entered the office.

"Everything okay?" Michael asked while coming to a stand, and making his way over to the door.

"Great, actually." Ashton responded, his large grin never leaving his face.

Michael gave him a puzzled, but happy, look.

"I'll explain later mate." Ash said, clapping him on the shoulder before coming to sit in front of me on the couch.

Michael left the room, giving me and Ashton privacy to talk freely.

"I have some news, that I think you'll be happy to hear." Ashton said, reaching his hand out to take mine.

I didn't hesitate, so I sat there, with Ashton hand in hand. His thumb gently rubbed my knuckles, which was surprisingly soothing.

My anxiety over his news dimmed slightly, but didn't fully dissipate.

"Did something happen?" I asked, still itching for an answer.

"So, with the call for an abuse case to be opened on your file, the police were forced to look into your charges further."

I wasn't sure at this point how to feel. An uncomfortable twisting in my stomach had taken over, and I could feel myself inching toward a panic attack.

"They tested the bag of drugs, that had been found in your bag."

Shallow breaths, and heart racing, I prepared myself for the worst.

"Fingerprints traced back to your father, but never you." Ashton said, looking into my eyes to gauge my reaction.

Saying I was confused, was an understatement.

"I- I knew I never touched it, but my dad?" I asked, now squeezing his hand in fear.

"No one's quite sure why, but with the new information that charge has been dropped. However, they're still not sure how you had traces in your blood stream, but never touched the contents."

"They're just as confused as I am." I said, my voice shaking as tears threatened to spill out.

"They're taking your dad in for questioning, and they've requested that your mother come as well."

I nodded my head, so Ashton knew I wasn't ignoring him. I just didn't have any words to speak.

I sat, stunned and confused for a long time. Repeating all the possible case scenarios.

"Does this mean I'll stay out of jail?" I asked up toward Ashton, who was being incredibly patient.

"We're not sure yet, but possibly." He said with a small smile on his face.

"I promise I didn't take the drugs, Ash."

"I believe you, with all I have."