Chapter 36

"When?"

His eyes watched her keenly, growing suspicious of her claim.

Tara gulped. Trembling, she tightly held on to the table at her back, supporting her weight as the cold truth splashed her all at once.

It was Dominic. For God's sake it was Dominic.

She repented her mind for remembering the brush of his nose as it touched her skin, the swirl of his tongue as it licked her breast. A gush of bile rose in her throat. The sheer hatred she felt for herself for not being able to recognize the obvious ill-intentioned man quickly became the ache in her head, twitching painfully. Her legs wildly shook of terror, she grabbed her head in both of her hands, squeezing it to minimize the pain. As she started skidding down out of consciousness, she felt the arms that wrapped around her, picking her up and resting on bed.

Just before she lost the contact with consciousness she felt the worried tap on her cheek calling out her name. She realized in what great danger she could have been if she was energetic enough to be conscious, so just before she slipped into darkness she reminded herself to be grateful, thanking her body for giving up instead of making her confront the terrible situation.
.
.
.

She woke up to seeing an elderly white woman in her fourtees, making an inspection of her wrist, probably checking her pulse. The stethoscope that hung in her neck was self explanatory for her purpose in their room. Tara tried to sit up, not yet relieved from her headache she hissed when her head throbbed again.

"Lie down no need to sit" the woman spoke in her French accent, gently pushing her back to bed. Tara didn't resist, relaxing her muscles. The memories of Dominic's actions still faintly replayed, making her feel nauseated again. She couldn't believe she had let that happen, that he was allowed to touch her without battling against her resistance.

What if I wasn't on periods?

The mere thought made her bolt upright.

What if i had never figured out that he wasn't Donavan?

What if he hadn't stopped after knowing I was on periods?

She clutched her head as it intensely throbbed with the pressure.

"Tara" Donavan's voice brought her out of her turmoil. He stood at the edge of bed, looking close to concerned at the state of his wife. She realized how it was the first time after their vows that he had spelled her name. She found it strangely surprising that he at all remembered her name even though it was the bare minimum he owed.

"Lay down and don't think" he more or less ordered, making her hesitantly comply.

Doctor finally done with her inspection, stood up from her place. Coiling her stethoscope in her hands, she glanced at Tara who curiously stared back, worried at what's doctor's opinion might be.

"You said she's on periods?"
"Yes" Donavan immediately replied.
" that might be it" she mumbled.
"Are you having any severe symptoms sweetheart?" The lady asked, "as in cramps, headaches, vomity feeling?"
" yeah" Tara replied, wanting to blame her innocent periods for her emotional turmoil.
"It's okay" doctor said, "she just needs rest, I'll prescribe some meds nothing serious"

Having said that, she scribbled some letters in her incomprehensible handwriting and handed it to the servant waiting at the door, who ever so elegantly escorted her out.

Donavan's eyes never wavered from her, he noticed her relaxing shoulders as soon as the doctor left. Her eyes though never stopped their chaotic battle, something still churned in her head restlessly. His gaze became sharper as she sighed, as if saved from a disaster but as soon as their eyes met he caught the lie.