Chapter 38

She scrubbed her hands thoroughly, washing the dirt off and as she did, she couldn't help but remember the list of bacteria that lived in soil. As a fervent student back in school she had mugged up as many microbes in soil as she could.

It was the kind of fun no one related to, the nerdy activities she poured herself into to forgo the fact how empty her life truly was. For a moment she forgot that he might still stood behind her probably watching her like a pervert.

She discarded the flooding information about tiny microbes at the back of her mind, focusing on task at hand. Satisfied with her cleanliness she grabbed the hanging towels beside her, wrapping one around her body and simultaneously tapping herself dry with other one. Finally turning her body she met with the scene she hadnt expected to see. Unlike her presumption that her husband in his ever so smooth posture still stood near the basin, he was gone, leaving the stick of his apple devoid of its flesh.

When did he go?

She apprehensively walked outwards, finding their suite not as she remembered exiting. The lightening thunder jolted outside their window, jumpscaring her, but what did scare her more was his silhouette that ablazed for minisecond in the Grey illumination of thunder. His sullen calmness faced their giant window sipping on something which she could only assume was alcohol. The window didn't have a magnificent view now, eiffel tower was long blurred, the glass of their window became the playground of trickling raindrops that raced with each other, penetrating the foggy texture. With heavy wind rain pounded violently on their windows, setting their own rhythm.

Without realizing that her jaw had dropped from its hinge she saw the lit candles around the room, belieing its frightening interior with a romantic gesture. In the utter darkness they looked oddly gothic. The mirrory hallucination didnt help, adding to the thrilling effect of dwelling serenity inside their suite as the thunderstorms knocked just outside. She knew it was anything but romantic and her suspicions were rendered true when her gaze followed the discrete items on bed. Her palm flew to her mouth to suppress the gasp. If she wasn't wrong in her sight lying haphazardly on bed were metallic hand cuffs and a well coiled rope. Whatever he had planned for her tonight, she realized, wasn't going to be forgettable.

Her gaze shifted back to him when he swiftly turned to her, his face only visible partially by the grace of lit candles. Without beating around the bush he spoke, his deep voice penetrating deeper in her senses. She clutched her towel a little too tightly.
"We have a communication gap don't you think?" His steps drew closer, quickening her pulse altogether.

She didn't know what to say. Communication gap was always supposed to exist between husband and wife in mafias. It wasn't a news for men to have their separate secret lives outside as their women laid in utter unconscious. Men never shared their daily happenings with their wives, expecting communication from them was as stupid as asking for attention from rocks.

And then it sunk on her.

He wasn't concerned about him not sharing anything with her but her not sharing anything with him. She couldn't breathe. A wife could never own a private life. That was simply absurd in their lifestyle.

He wants to know more about me.

She had imagined the day coming but it was a little too early for him to grow this suspicious. She took a deep breathe when he closed their distance further, intimidating her with his physique.

"Why don't we play a game?" He casually asked, setting his empty glass on the nearby table. Unbuttoning his dirty shirt now.
She gulped. She hadn't felt this scared of him until now, until the very moment that begged for her to run, run as fast as she could.
Flinging his shirt somewhere on the floor he put his right hand in his pocket, swiftly taking a black fabric out. Her vision struggled to comprehend what it was. Before she could recognize it, he was already closing on her, making their eyes connect. He liked the glimpse of fear in her eyes, he cherished that look on his people.
"What game" she whispered surprised that her throat at all managed to find a voice.
"It's simple really" he mumbled. Taking the fabric in his hand raising it to her eyes. Blinding her with it he tightened it behind her head.