☆4☆

Mona began to eat some of the food in front of her.
"Any questions?" She asked between a bite.

"What's with the chickens? Do you just eat them or their eggs?" David questioned.
"Actually, during The Great Depression, the house had a spell of tough times. It wasn't the easiest to come up with money back in those days. So, Miss Wulla Jean started expecting poultry. We eat some, and their eggs." Mona explained.
"That's how we got our name, The Chicken Ranch."

"Ah" David said. He wanted to ask about the rules, but he didn't want to seem rude. He didn't have to ask anyways, because Mona started talking again.
"You might think we have some strict rules, but they are all in place for a reason. Of course, over the years they have changed a bit. I even got rid of some rules."

David nodded his head just to nod his head. He cleared his throat and began to talk."Well, I would love to stay and support a local business..."
Some of the girls at the table chuckled.
"...but I honestly didn't know this place was a brothel and I really need to go find a job somewhere to keep myself busy and get some money. I went on a walk to clear my mind."

"David, if you can't find a job in town..." one of the girls at the table said. She didn't have to finish, everyone knew she was hinting at the brothel.

Dabid laughed. "Thank you for the offer. I'll be sure to remember it. Now, I've gotta go. It was nice meeting you all."

"Have a nice day, sugar. It was great meeting you too." Miss Mona replied. "You come back now, ya hear?"

David walked out the house and began walking towards town. The same rooster from earlier came out from beside the steps and started chasing David. The rooster screamed as David began running towards town away from it.

After half a mile, the rooster got tired and headed back towards the house.
David slowed down, and started walking at a normal pace. He thought about the house and everyone in it. Miss Mona seemed nice from what he saw, and the workers seemed to have a friendly attitude too.

David ended up becoming a deputy. There, he worked alongside the sheirff, Ed Earl Dodd

 There, he worked alongside the sheirff, Ed Earl Dodd

"Everyone likes Ed Earl, especially Ed Earl." Fred once told David.
Ed Earl watched over the little house because of his past with Miss Mona. Deputy Fred (who was Ed Earl's best friend best friend and basically sidekick because all sheriffs have a sidekick) and David both helped out with the ranch, but mostly David. Fred handled other business at the station with a few other people.

David also found that Miss Mona was outspoken, and a well respected member of the community. But of course, not everyone is going to like her.

One day, David and Fred went out for lunch when they found Mona coming out the bank. She stepped into her red convertible.

"Well hello, Miss Mona" Fred waved his hand coming towards her.
"How are you doin' Deputy Fred, Deputy David."
"Please Miss Mona, just David" David replied. "It's nice to see you."
"Yes it is." Fred chimed in.
"Keepin' an eye on my place at night?" Mona asked them.

"The sheriff's real particular about security there" Deputy Fred answered.
"Well one of these nights..." Mona began. "You and David drop in. My girls would love to show you two a little appreciation" She then winked.
Deputy Fred shook his head while smiling.
"Shoot Miss Mona! You know I'm a married man."

"Fred, you think the cows don't appreciate the time off...when a bull goes over to another pasture?"

"Miss Mona!"

Mona threw her head back and laughed.
"What about you David? Are you married?"
David shook his head. "No, I'm not. Divorced actually, that's why I moved down to Texas. That divorce was probably for the best though."

"Aw, sorry about that, hon. My girls could hell you feel better, I bet. So maybe you should be the one to drop in. Like I said, they would love to show some appreciation. And you once said you would love to support a local business." Mona joked.

David grinned a bit at her. "Maybe one of these days I will."
"Well, I've got to go. I'll see you two later." Mona waved and then drove off.