☆22☆

That night, Ed Earl and Mona had went out together. Sort of like a celebration for Ed Earl's achievement. And back at home, David layer on the couch, reading. He had just picked up some old random book that he was given by one of the neighbors on his street so he could try and get Melvin off of his mind. So far, it was working. But in the back of his head, he still thought about him and everything else. And sometimes, he would come crashing into his thoughts like Mick did on that day that they all went horseback riding together. David couldn't help but be angry with Melvin and with himself. Then again, it's not like anybody knew that he would turn on them all and just, it seemed like, wake up one day and decide he was going to go after The Chicken Ranch again. Hell, even Ed Earl thought Melvin was on their side.

At this point, it was late at night, and David had been reading for awhile as he was getting invested into the story. He had just finished a chapter when the phone started ringing. He tossed his book down and got up to answer the phone. 

"Hello?" The voice on the other line said.

David internally groaned. It was Melvin. He knew what he was going to do and he really was not in the mood for it today. And he never would be in the mood for it anyways.

"What?" David hissed bitterly into the phone. "What could you ever want with me? I am a whore just like everyone else, remember? And what's to be expected from a man like David Bowie' hm?" 

"I just want to say that I am sorry for what I did earlier."

"Sorry?!" David screamed into the phone. "Just shut up and stop wasting our time. You're not sorry for anything you did. And I really hope you do not think I can ever like you after that stunt you pulled today, in front of everybody. Especially when you tried to get Ed Earl to go against me. Just go to hell, Melvin."

"You better watch how you talk about me, David. Because I can get the mayor's own kids to throw rocks at him. Remember that? And I can get all them little fans of yours to turn on you in a flash if I really wanted to."

"Don't you threaten me." David said through gritted teeth. "Besides, what are you going to do anyways? Shove one of your socks down my pants and up my arse?"

 Melvin huffed at him. "You know what David? I pity you. You just better stay out of this or you are going to have trouble."

The phone went dead after that.