☆30☆

"Damn it! You gave me your word!" He slammed his hands down on the table.

Ed Earl was now in Miss Mona's room. Both of them, facing each other. He was just as mad as she was. He was mad at Melvin, and at her. She had gave him her word that she would shut down for those two months, but she went behind his back and didn't. She went behind his back and still left the doors open for the Aggies.
Mona was mad at Melvin and his crew. They had broke into her house, and started raiding the place and taking pictures. Now what was she going to do when those things appeared on the news channels and in the newspapers?

"You gave me your word and I took it! Now I'm the law!" Ed Earl hollered.

"The law! You wanna talk about the law!" Mona barked back at him. A bunch of crazies break into my house tonight, comin' in here, takin' pictures, invadin" my privacy,  and you wanna know what the law's gonna do about that? I can tell you, nothin'!"

"They'd have no reason to do nothin' if you'd done what you said you were gonna do!" Ed Earl argued. "I trusted you, that's what hurt. I trusted you!"

"Don't you talk to me about trust..." Mona growled. "I trusted you to protect me! I made a mistale tonight, okay?!"

"If that's your idea of a an apology it ain't worth armadillo crap!" Ed Earl spat as he began to walk away from her.
"Well I ain't apologizin'!" She spat back at him, following him. "I'm a businesswoman payin' out double taxes! I expect a lil' protection for my money! Where were you tonight? I couldn't get you on the phone-"

Ed Earl cut her off as he pointed at her. "I was at home in bed because you gave me your word you were closin' down!"

"Well if sheriff Jack Roy Wallace were here none of this would have ever happened-"

Once again, Ed Earl cut her off and they began to holler and scream at one another until finally,

"Damn it Mona, you're makin' me mad!"

"Whoo!" She yelled mocking him. "Listen to him cuss and scream just like on TV! You're just a kid playin' at bein' a cowboy. You ain't ever gonna grow up!"

She turned around but suddenly twisted back around before he could say anything to defend himself or to change the subject.
"You use me as your mistress, you use that damn Dulcie mae as your in-town wife, and you even use that little boy of hers so you can play weekend daddy!" Mona hissed, almost sounding a bit disgusted with Ed Earl.

"You leave that boy out of it!" Ed Earl protested.

"You're playin', Ed Earl. You're just a big overgrown kid playin' at bein' a man!"

"I don't have to listen to this shit..." He grumbled. "Damn it! I'm the law. If I choose to, I'll close this place down til hell freezes over!"

"Don't you threaten me..."She growled lowley. "I'm tellin' the truth and you know it! And all your dreams of goin' to the legislative...That's all they are, Ed Earl. They're just dreams! Cause you ain't ever gonna be anything more then you are now. A chicken-shit sheirff in a chicken-shit town!" And with that, she turned away from him.

"You may be right..." Ed Earl began, more calmly now but still angry. "It's a hell of a lot better then being a whore."

That caught Mona's attention. She spun around and looked at him, her gaze filled with shock and disbelief...and hurt. Tear began to fill her eyes as he gazed back at her too, with a irritated expression. He then grabbed his head and left her room. As the door shut, Mona turned around as her tears began to fall down her face.

*************

Ed Earl came out of the house angrily while Fred and David sat in the car. David felt sick. He was worried what would happen. Was Melvin going to be able to get what he wants?
David looked up at the top of the car and let out a long sigh. At that moment, Ed Earl had gotten into the car and sat down.
"Hey there Sheriff." Fred greeted, still chipper as ever. "What did you go talk to Miss Mona for?"

"It's nothin'." Ed Earl grumbled. "Let's just go home."
And that's what they did. Theh dropped Fred off, and then David. David watched as Ed Earl drove away. He sighed sadly and walked into the house.
"My, what a mess Melvin has made." His voice cracked.
David turned the doorknob. Unlocked.

Suddenly, David froze. He had locked the door, who could have been in his house?
Mayne there was someone in there now.
He turned the knob and walked into the house. All the lights were off so far. He continued to walk until he got to his room.
David walked in and looked around.

"What? Why is this on the floor? And where's the photo?" David said out loud as he looked at the empty frame. After that, David checked to see if anything else was missing. Nothing. Who had came into his house?

Melvin.

That was the only person who could have came and only stole his wedding picture.
"That bastard...I bet he was looking for something so he could expose me." David growled. "Well, I don't think that will do it, Melvin. Also, I'll have to change the locks now."

And when the next day came, David was just as worried about what to do, while Ed Earl wondered off into the countryside feeling sorry for himself.