☆5☆

A week later, Ed Earl and David were on lunch break.
Ed Earl was drinking a beer while eating a bowl of Cherrios.

"Ed Earl, what the hell are you eating?" David looked at him while smirking.
"Cherrios."
"With beer?" He questioned

"What? They go good together." Ed Earl told him. "Try it sometime."
"No thank you, Ed Earl." David snickered.

A moment of silence passed between the two before it was interrupted by Deputy Fred rushing into the room.
"Sheirff!"
"What is it, Fred?" Ed Earl asked sitting up in his chair.
"I just ran into the mayor. He told me that C.J. has a friend that works at a TV station down in Houston. He tipped me off that Melvin P. Thorpe's plannin' an expose on the Chicken Ranch."

Ed Earl leaned forward as him and David asked in unison,
"Who?"
"Melvin P. Thorpe." Deputy Fred repeated. "That crazy consumer advocate. He reports on the late night news. Now, he's got a new show now, a half hour once a week. It's called 'The Watchdog Report.' It's gonna be on tonight."

"Oh yeah, I saw him on the late news before." David said as the name finally rang a bell.
"Yeah." Fred nodded before glancing over at David. "He kinda reminds me of you."
"What do you mean?" Ed Earl asked.

"His outfits. David has those space-like  outfits but Melvin's are more of like Portner Wagoner."
Ed Earl was in deep thought as Fred began to talk about Melvin's outfits.
There is no way The Chicken Ranch could be on TV. The brothel had been there for so many years, untouched by the media.

"The Chicken Ranch on TV...Now, come on fellas..." Ed Earl suddenly said.

"But sir, Television is a family medium." Deputy Fred told him. "He shows up with his TV cameras every time a consumer has a conplaint. He's the feller that put the peanuts back in the chocolate bar."

"What?" Ed Earl asked with confusion plastered all over his face.

"He made the makers of 'Peanut Delight Candy Bar' admit that they put less peanuts in each bar than they advertised. He made them change their ways." Deputy Fred explained.

"Sounds like a tough customer." Ed Earl mumbled.
"Sounds like he has a lot of influence Sheirff.." David turned towards him.

"Oh he does. And if he brings cameras out to The Chicken Ranch..."

"Deputy Fred, I'm sure that there's something we can do." David firmly said. "Ed Earl does have a little influence around here."

"Melvin P. Thorpe is the biggest attraction at this station. High ratings, lots of letters, he won't listen to anyone! He even wants to go national!" Fred exclaimed.
"Fred, just calm down." David held one of his hands out.

"This is serious, you two need to do something." Fred looked at them both.

"We intend to." Ed Earl replied. "Hold down the fort for awhile. Me and David are going to Houston."