☆23☆

That night, the late news came on.

David had his Television playing at a low volume in the background as he went through some old photos he found. He was meaning to go through them and throw out some of them, or burn them. At one point he had found an older piece of paper that had somehow gotten mixed in with the photos. Some song he had once wrote. He crumbled it and tossed in to the side of him. 

"Is this the kind of man we want runnin' our Law Enforcement?"

David looked up at the tv to see Melvin on the screen. He made a breath of aggravation at the screen.

"Is this the kind of foul-mouthed example we wanna set for young innocent children?" Melvin asked, more of a rhetorical statement that an actual question, with a sympathetic face. "Run the film."

"Since when did you care about children?" David scoffed. "You truly are ridiculous, Melvin."

 A video that was taken from earlier when he was yelling at Melvin started to play. As it played, Ed Earl repeated that no sawed off little pecker was going to accuse him of taking a bribe, and then it went on from there, bleeping all of the swear words he spoke.  Melvin sure was trying to make a fool out of Ed Earl, and he was doing a good job at it too. Then the phone rang, and David got up, but lingered for a few moments before answering the phone attached to the wall.   "Hello?" David answered flatly.                                                                                                                                       "Howdy there, David. Did you see the news yet?" Fred asked in his usual chipper voice as if nothing was happening.

"Just now." David replied.

"My, Melvin sure is not giving up I'll tell you that."

"Of course he's not. Melvin started this and he is going to finish it. And he wants to finish it in his way, and that's by closing down the ranch. Fred, what are we going to do about this? I am really starting to worry about this, especially since Ed Earl is acting as if nothing is happening really. Then again, maybe he really is freaking out but he is trying to keep his composure...." David yawned at the last sentence.

"I'm not too sure,  it I think Ed Earl is doing his best. I know Ed Earl is gonna be able to fix this whole mess that Melvin created. You gotta have more faith in him David. I'ma let you go now, you sound like you need to get some rest, it is pretty late right now. G'night David."

"Goodnight Fred." 

The phone clicked as he put it back onto the wall. David went back over to the couch and passed out, going into a deep sleep.