☆31☆

The TV was on while David watched to see what was being said on the news about the Chicken Ranch.

"Legalized prostitution, pro or con, is in the news today." The reporter began. "For a report, here is Jeff Gerald in Gilbert, Texas."

The screen then changed to a reporter who was standing outside a gate that said "no entry", about 300 feet away from the ranch.

"The Chicken Ranch, the legendary, long-running bawdy house is showing little activity after the disclosure yesterday of the Thanksgiving Night raid." The reporter explained.

Then, a video of Fred came on the screen, shooing people away from the gate. "Get away!"

The reporter continued, "the deputy at the front gate keeps away onlookers and potential customers while up at the house, the doors are closed and the principals are not talking."

"The sheriff of Gilbert, Ed Earl Dodd, refused interviews while in Houston, the man who launched the campaign, consumer advocate Melvin P. Thorpe held a press conference this afternoon."
The camera then changed to Melvin at a podium. He held something up in the air with his hand.

"I have a report here that says that The Chicken Ranch is involved with and under the influence or organized crime." Melvin explained. "I myself, amd gonna take this report to Austin in hopes in hopes that the Governor himself will come out of his long silence on this issue to uphold the law and-" cameras started taking pictures of him. "Thank you, thank you very much." He nodded as he soaked up the attention.

The reporter went back to talking. "At the Capitol today, the Governor made no statement, but Senator Charles Wingwood, who was a principal figure in the Watchdog news raid, also held a press conference explaining his involvement."
It switched to him.
"I have no independent recollection of going to The Chicken Ranch. And I can only say, as the most dedicated anticommunist in the state legislature, that I  must have been drugged by communists or communists sympathizers and placed there to ruin my reputation and good name."

David couldn't help but laugh at his ridiculous explanation for why he was there.

"Reaction across the state is split 50-50." The reporter began once again. "But here in Gilbert, The Chicken Ranch has many supporters."

He then went and found some of the supporters in the town and asked them about their opinions of The Chicken Ranch.
"I ain't ever seen anything bad come out of that Chicken Ranch." An old man said. "And I've lived here all my life. Why, they attract a lot of business for the community. Ha! They pay their taxes, just like you and me. And no one. No one was ever forced to go up there." And then he ended it with a approving nod.

Another lady, who looked about in her 60s was up next.
"My Frank, when he was alive, would go up there every Saturday. I took it as a blessin'. Of course, things were different then. Nowadays, women enjoy doin' that sort of thing. At least, I've been told so."

After that, was a man with a huge beard.

"Oh lord, it's him." David thought.

"The Chicken Ranch? I think it's a great idea. See, you take a lot of young boys and they're gonna be out lookin' for women. If they can't find 'em, they'll rape 'em. And if they don't do that, they'll run into women with diseases! Those girls went to doctors." He explained.

David rolled his eyes and shook his head at his statement.

Back to the reporter. "Although petitions are being circulated to save The Chicken Ranch, already this bumper sticker," he held it up a sticker that said "pluck The Chicken Ranch." "Is beginning to appear around the state. And so, feminists line up behind the bill for the decriminalization of prostitution already in the legislature, while traditionalists and fundamentalists lobby for it's defeat. The fate of The Chicken Ranch rests with the Governor, who today again, was unavailable for comment."

David stood up.
"If only Miss Mona shut down, or if we had gotten there sooner." David mumbled to himself.