☆33☆

It was a bitter day for all of the girls and a sorry day for Lanville county. It was like the end of an era, things would never be the same. They all packed their things up and were leaving on the bus. David wanted to say goodbye and wish them all well. He couldn't help but feel the lump in his throat trying to come up in the form of tears.

Lou, Mary Jane, and Ruby Rae were about to get on when David said his goodbyes and well wishes to them.
"Guess what? We're going to California!" Mary Jane smiled gently.
"Mmhm. Away from Melvin! And guess what, David? We can both relate because for a bit I also liked Melvin but not in the same way. My heart has found her." And Lou, she raised Mary Jane's hand a bit. "Ruby Rae is comin' with us too."

"Bye David. I bet you'll make a fine husband one day for someone." Ruby Rae smiled sadly as they stepped on.
Another girl, Darla, the one who had been talking with Mona that day came up to him.
"Goodbye, David. You know, its my fault why the ranch is getting shut down. Because I reminded Miss Mona about it." She muttered, with some tears flowing down her face.

"It's not your fault, Darla. You were trying to be a good friend to Miss Mona." He took a tissue out of his pocket and handed it to her.

Each and every one of those girls had said goodbye to David and Mona.
And as the bus drove away, everyone waved to them and they waved back.
"Oh my..." David muttered.
"It's a hard candy christmas." Mona mumbled.

"Would you like me to help you gather your things?" David offered.
"Thank you." Mona nodded.

David had offered for Mona to come live with him for awhile until she could figure out something. And maybe he could help her out some too.
"You sure Ed Earl won't be upset having you stay with me?" He asked her.
"Oh, no. I'm not even sure if we are still together." She sighed.

"I'm sorry. And I'm sorry about that damned Melvin P. Thorpe."

"It's not your fault." Mona smiled weakly. "Really, it's not."
"I wish I could help you some more, though." David added.
"Aw, you're doin' all you can."

Just then, Ed Earl came into the house.
"I was afraid you had left." His voice filled the empty room. He looked around at the empty dark room. It felt so much different, and unusual too, from The Chicken Ranch he was used to.
"Old place lools kinda funny, eh?"

"Ben Sawtuck bought all my furniture and fixtures while Langston downtown is gonna sale the rest." Mona explained.
"What are you doin' here?" Ed Earl asked as he noticed David.
"She's coming to live with me until she can't get back on her feet. Maybe if I move somewhere, she can start there."

"I want you to thank your boys for me." Mona began. "The sightseers and reporters would have got all outta hand if it weren't for your deputies down at the gate."
"Mona, you know me better than that."

"I think I'll go wait out here..." David mumbled and walked out the door.

"Ed Earl, I think the thing for you to do is just put this whole thing behind you as quick as you can. I've made a little money...I've danced to the music, I've laughed some and now it's just time to pay the fiddler. That's all." Mona looked away as she spoke.

"Mona, both of us have been together a long time. Sometimes, I think you know me better than I know myself. So you know how hard this is for me to say, I love you. Will you marry me?"
Mona jerked her head towards him, her eyes glossy. "Oh Ed Earl, I've loved you ever since I was 16-years-old. But I've thought about this for a long time. And as much as I would like for this to work, and as much as I would like for it to work, I just know deep down in my heart it's never gonna be."

"Didn't you hear what I said?" Ed Earl murmured softly.

"I did darlin'. But it is gonna always be just like this.  There's just no way in the world it could work." Mona shook her head.

"We could make it work. Just give it a chance..."

Mona sighed and looked him in the eyes.

(Song: https://youtu.be/gcPY3RIvtCw )
(Song: https://youtu.be/lKsQR72HY0s )