☆6☆

Melvin P. Thorpe was in his dressing room, getting ready for his show.
A large photo of him was on the back of the door in his room

A knock came from the door.
"Come in." Melvin called.

Ed Earl and David both stepped into Melvin's dressing room, closing the door behind him.
Melvin turned around and was met with the two standing there.
"Ah, hello." He greeted.
"Hello. Im Sheirff Ed Earl Dodd from Gilbert." Ed Earl introduced himself as he took off his hat.
"This is Deputy David Bowie." He pointed at David with his hat.

"Huh, a deputy?" Melvin mumbled, regarding David.
"I hope we are not interrupting anything." Ed Earl said as he looked around.
"Oh no, it's my pleasure. What brings you here to Houston?"
Melvin walked over to a couch. "Sit down, anywhere over here. I'm uh- I'm gettin' dressed. I've got my TV show to do, and I'm runnin' a bit behind time."

"Mr. Thorpe, we came to talk about-"
David was cut off by Melvin as he held his finger up. "Melvin."
"Melvin." David repeated after him like an echo.
"Melvin, we came to talk about your show." Ed Earl spoke.
"You watch the show, David? Ed?" Melvin questioned. "Last week well...was the best ratin' we ever had. The city planning commissioner was drivin' a city car..."

Melvin stopped and handed a pair of socks to Ed Earl. "Just hold that for me, will you?"
Ed Earl took the sock and looked at it with a strange expression.
Melvin continued as he put on a girdle.
"While he was on vacation, caught him dead to rights. Pitiful putz."

He stopped in front of Ed Earl.
"Would you just zip that up?" He pointed to the zipper.

"What?" Ed Earl asked.

"Just pull that up."

Ed Earl stood up and tried to pull the zipper. It didn't move.
"David come over here." Ed Earl told him. David got up to walk over to Melvin. He tried to pull on the zipper. He then tried to pull on it harder but it still didn't move.
Finally, David just took hold of the zipper between his teeth and yanked upward.

Melvin didn't say anything to David as he began talking again.
"And we broke a 30 share. It's affectin' my pieces on the late night news. Up, up, up. They just love my little report."

Melvin then walked over to the other side of the room to get something.
"I hear you're very popular." Ed Earl replied as he sat back down alkng with David.
"The power of television, of public exposure, is so great it scares me. I swear, I could get the Mayor's own children to throw rocks at him."

Melvin turned back around. "Which show did you two like best?"
"I think the one about the...nuts in the chocolate bar." Ed Earl nodded his head, thinking fast.
"I'd have to agree with Ed Earl." David agreed, playing along with him.

Melvin nodded his head agreeing with them.
"That's one of my favorites. 'Threescore' means 60, like the Bible says. So if it says "60 Nuts" on the wrapper, I wanna see 60 nuts inside. And I'm not talkin' a half nut..."