56||Death

PETRA RAMIREZ

My blood runs cold at the sight of Xavier falling to the ground, I turn to the kids and quickly rush them out of the room.

I turn around and see Derek holding his gun as he rushes over to Xavier's body. I make sure to put the kids near Natalia and Alessandro and run over to him.

He has a gunshot wound in his chest, the world around me seemed to slow down as I knelt beside Xavier, my heart pounding in my chest.

In that moment everything else faded away, and it was just him and me. Time stood still as I focused on his pale face, his eyes searching mine for reassurance.

I began to feel tears welling up in my eyes as I gently cradled his head in my hands, my fingers trembling against his skin.

"Hang on, Xavier." I whispered, my voice barely audible, "Don't you dare leave me."

I could feel the weight of his body against me, his breathing slowing. Panic surged through my veins as I realized the severity of his injuries.

I take a moment to catch my breath, as my eyes shift to Tobias's lifeless body nearby. The feeling of relief washes over me knowing that he's gone for good, but my main focus should be Xavier.

"Stay with me." I pleaded, my voice filled with a mix of fear and determination, "You're going to be okay."

Xavier manages to crack a weak smile as he grabs my hand that was pressed up against his wound, "I love you."

His words pierced through the chaos around him, grounding me in that moment.

I began shaking my head in disbelief, "I don't want to do this without you, stay with me."

He doesn't say anything, he just softly rubs my hand as he begins to close his eyes making my heart shatter in pieces. I couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

I held onto him tighter, as if my grip alone could keep him alive.

Suddenly, the sound of sirens grew louder, and the flashing lights of the ambulance pierced through. It felt like an eternity as they carefully loaded Xavier onto the stretcher, their movements swift and efficient.

I climbed into the back of the ambulance, my hand tightly gripping Xavier's, refusing to let go. The paramedics worked tirelessly, with their expertise and calm demeanor. I watched as they administered life-saving measures, their words of reassurance barely reaching my ears.

As we sped through the streets, my mind was filled with a bunch of emotions, fear, and hope. I prayed silently, begging for whatever higher power existed to spare his life, to give us a chance to grow old together.

When we arrived at the hospital, they took Xavier to the O.R. for him to have surgery.

I sat down in the seat as I waited which felt like hours, the doctor finally updated me on him. Once he told me that I could see him I headed to his room.

I sat by Xavier's hospital bed, holding onto his hand. He was already awake when I got into the room, I'm just glad that he was okay.

"I'm okay, love. Stop worrying." He says as he grips my hand.

"You almost died." I told him, narrowing my eyes at him, "Fucking scared me."

Xavier chuckles, "I'm alive though, right?"

I nodded my head, placing a kiss on his hand. Suddenly, Dr. Brown walks into the room, making our full attention go to her.

"Hello, Mr. Romano and Ms. Ramirez." Dr. Brown says, as she walks more into the room, "I have some bad news,"