(59) A Real Date

"C'mon, Ahk!!"

"I don't know, darling...I'm not so sure this is a good idea." Ahkmenrah nervously looks down at the modern-style outfit made him change into. I never thought of myself as fashionable by any means, but I had to admit that I was impressed with my outfit choice. The burnt-yellow hoodie, ripped jeans, and pair of converse Ahk was wearing really suited him.

"What's there to not be sure about? You have a perfect disguise and I have a timer set on my phone so we'll have plenty of time to get back to the museum before sunrise." I say. "We'll finally be able to go on a date that isn't in the museum!"

"But what if-"

I cut the pharaoh off. "Do you think I'd let my boyfriend turn to dust? I've thought everything through." I confidently say.

Ahk sighs. "It's not me I'm worried about, it's you."

This surprises me. "Me? Why are you worried about me?"

"Isn't New York dangerous at night?" Ahk looks at me with worry. "I don't want you getting hurt."

I knew there was some truth to what Ahkmenrah had said. There were plenty of weirdos and creeps in the city—especially after dark.  I think about it for a moment. "I'll be okay. I've lived here my whole life." I conclude. "Besides, I'll have you to protect me," I say with a smirk.

Ahkmenrah blushes as he looks down at me. "As long as you're sure." He gently brushes a loose strand of my hair out of my face. "I trust you."

I smile. Gosh, I love this boy...

We happily run out of the museum hand in hand, into the night.

:-:-:-:

I sleepily yawn as we make our way back to the museum. I lean my head into my boyfriend's chest and Ahkmenrah lovingly wraps his arm around me as we walk. "I had fun tonight. I don't think I've enjoyed myself this much in over four thousand years."

I smile, feeling accomplished in my attempt to show Ahk a good time. The night was pretty standard as far as normal dates go; we saw a movie, got a snack from a 24-hour cafe, window shopped, and maybe kissed once or twice. I even took Ahkmenrah on a subway, which sounds boring on paper, but the pharaoh seemed to enjoy it.

It was a normal night, but that didn't make it any less special. It was our precious time together; something we typically never could've done.

"I'm glad you and I did this together," I say. My eyes make their way down to the movie tickets in my hand. I gently rub my thumb on them, almost as if I was checking that they were real. "It's nice...to do normal couple things. It makes our relationship seem more like a reality and less like a dream that I'll wake up from."

Our conversation is interrupted when a strong gust of wind blows through the air. The tickets are blown out of my hand, and go flying behind Ahk and me. "Shoot!!" I exclaim, quickly dashing after the tickets. Before long, my stamina rapidly runs out and I come to a stop. "Ugh...I'm starting to...regret skipping...gym class." I pant.

Ahkmenrah gives me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, darling. I'll grab them for you. Just wait here." He says darting after the tickets.

I lean against the red brick of a nearby building to catch my breath. I check the time on my phone.

3:47 a.m.