Chapter 23

Dad was getting worse. It wasn't just another drop and everything will get better again. No, it was downhill now. There was little chance that David would survive. I wasn't giving up hope, just being logical. Every day was dragging. Not that I minded too much now that Hayden and I were official. But still, in the back of my mind, I knew it was only a matter of time before I snapped again. This time I wouldn't fight it though, just accept it.

With summer just around the corner, only a month away, people were buzzing with ideas and plans for trips. Nuna was already planning a beach trip with Nate, Hayden, and I. I couldn't wait, I don't care what season it is, if you want to go to the beach I'm in. But I was apprehensive of course, leaving mom and Melonie home alone.

Well, mom was mostly at the hospital now so really I would be leaving Melonie home alone. But Jess, Hayden, and Nuna had all been taking turns coming over and making themselves at home. They think they're being sneaky, but they should know me better than that.

I don't remember how my mind wandered off from Mr. Green’s lecture but it didn't matter, people were starting to pack up for the end of class.

"And that is why we learn this stuff, so you guys won't be ignorant like half the people inhabiting this planet." Chuckles went around the room and I couldn't help but smile. For a biology teacher, Mr. Green had a lot of opinions to share.

The bell rang and I grabbed my things heading out the door. The walk from this class all the way across the school to my next class felt like torture. Why can't I have like my own personal people to give me piggy back rides? That would be lovely.

People smiled back at me as I walked down the hallway. That made me happy. People being nice and appreciating one another generally made me happy. I walked into English expecting the group to be there, minus Ryan who had been switched out of all Hayden and my classes, but I arrived early I guess. I set down my stuff and headed out the door to aimlessly go to the bathroom. As soon as I crossed the threshold I smacked into Hayden.

"Oomph, oh, sorry babe," Hayden said stepping back with his hands full.

"No worries." I replied laughing. "Whatchya got there?" I questioned happily. I could obviously see there were three flavored red bulls.

"Oh. You know, just though we could all use some caffeine to make it through the day. We're almost done." We walked into the class and we slipped into our seats, him sitting across from me. "I like having English towards the end of the day now. Have I mentioned that?" He handed me my raspberry watermelon drink and I chuckled.

"Only about a billion times since the semester started and classes switched." He smirked at my exaggeration. Nuna walked in, locked eyes with me, and made her way through the classroom to finally taking her seat next to me. My eyes trailed her the entire way. It was obvious something was up.

"What?"

"I'll tell you later." She waved it off and started pulling out her stuff. "Can I have a sip?" She motioned to my drink.

"No." She looked at me like there was something wrong, because we share everything and I rarely tell her ‘no’.

"I got you one already." Hayden told her reaching under his desk.

"Aww, thank you. Hayden you're so sweet." She said slightly sarcastic.

"I know." He shrugged his shoulders haughtily.

"Cocky bitch," Nuna told him rolling her eyes.

"That's the thanks I get? I'm never buying you stuff again." I laughed at the two. Typical, I swear.