Chapter seven

Picture of Hayden ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>

*********************************************************************************************************

I waited on the bench for the last minute of our game. It was the finals of the play offs for basketball and we were up by four points. I didn't doubt that we would win but a lot can happen in minute. I watched Jess struggle as she tried to direct where the ball went. She wasn't trying to make a basket, just keep the ball out of reach of the others. I watched as Audrey started to cut and would have an open pass.

"JESS! LOOK AT AUDREY! AUDREY!" I screamed. Coach looked at me and back at the court in a split second. She stood up and yelled too. Jess passed to ball and we made an easy lay in. Now all we had to do was steal the ball back and hold it for 20 seconds.

"PRESS! PRESS!" yelled coach to the girls on the court. I sat in my seat with my elbows on my knees and watch as all the girls stayed low in position waiting for the right moment. In a hasty panic the team tried to pass to another one of their members. But we had them beat.

Jess caught it and slowly dribbled down the court.

"FIVE! FOUR! THREE!-" the crowd stated counting down. I leaned forward and looked over at the other teams bench. Most of the girls had their heads in their hands to ashamed to watch. Their coach was red in the face because he was yelling so much. Chill out dude. Face it your girls, lost, better luck next year. Some coaches. I stood up and screamed as the buzzer went off. I ran onto the court and our team hugged one another.

"Thanks for the heads up on Audrey." Jess said to me

.

"You know, I try." I grinned at her and we jumped up and down.

Somebody handed coach a five tiered trophy with a golden girl with a basketball on her hip on top. We all put a hand on it as she held it up in triumph. Pictures were being taken by parents and newspaper reporters. We smiled and posed for about five minutes. The seniors had their own little pictures by themselves and we clapped. After that we gathered our bags and hiked it to the bus.

We had a hotel and room partners. Mine partner was Jess so we sat together on the bus. Oh I could not wait for a shower and some TV in bed. Some of the girls went with their parents and roomed with them. But what was the fun in that?

"Jess, wake up. We're here." Jess didn't move off my shoulder. I sighed. "I have brownies and popcorn in our room." She sat right up.

"Why didn't you just say that in the first place?" I giggled.

"Because I didn't want the other girls to know. I just made enough for us."

"So a whole batch right?"

"Yes, an entire batch to ourselves." She hugged me.

"I love you."

"I hope it isn't just because I always make goodies." She laughed.

"Of course not, but that is a big reason why I do love you." The coach stood up before we got off the bus.

"Ladies! Everybody knows who they are rooming with?" A round of yes' were said. "Great, everybody had their card key?" Another round of yes' "Alright, stay up late and sleep in. We get back on the bus at 1p.m. I expect you to be here and 12:30. We will get lunch on our way out. You’re on your own for breakfast. It's served form 7-9 in the morning." We all followed her out the bus and into the hotel.

"Can I do the key?" asked Jess. I looked at her and she pouted her lip playfully.

"I guess."

"Awesome!"