Chapter 24

"Wait. What? I don't understand." Nuna and I were laying on the hood of my car at Melonie's softball practice. It was sunny and we figured we might as well soak up the sun.

"What don't you understand about it?" She took another sip of her iced drink.

"I mean, it's just... how? Like where did that even come from? You know? I just never expected it."

"I know, right? It's totally weird. Who would have thought that Molly and Tate would get together. I mean she's a junior and he's a freshman! Like hello cougar. Watch, they're gonna last a month and then she's gonna dump him saying he was so immature." She sat up and re-adjusted her massive curly pony tail.

"Are you staying over? I'm pretty sure Melonie is staying somewhere tonight." It was already six and the girls were picking up the field.

"I already have plans with Nate. Sorry." She didn't look very sincere.

"You are not." I teased.

"Am too."

"Mmhmm. Sure you are."

"It's not my fault you have previous plans." She said calmly.

"What? I just invited you over as in I do not have plans. What are you not telling me?" Now I knew something was up.

"Nothing." She lay there, not giving any emotion.

"Seriously? I'm just gonna have to wait and find out aren't I?"

She nodded her head. I rolled my eyes. I loved and hated surprises all at the same time. I could wait, I was patient. It was not knowing. I really hope nobody was dragging me to a party. I didn't feel like socializing much. I had my friends. Real friends, and I liked it that way.

Not too long after dozing off Melonie walked up.

"What are we having for dinner?"

I sat up and slid off the car unlocking it.

"I don't know. We'll see. What time did you want to head over? It's six fifteen now." I informed her looking at my phone. We got in the car and I rolled the windows down.

"As soon as dinner is done. Is Nuna staying for dinner?" I shrugged my shoulders and pulled into the street.

"If she wants. She has previous plans." I emphasized my words teasing her.

"For such a nice person you sure do know how to make someone feel guilty." I laughed and pulled into our driveway.

"Well, you know. It has it's perks."

We walked in and I went to the fridge to find something to make for the three of us.

"There's a note on the white board." Nuna informed me walking past the door to the garage.

Girls,

Came by around 4 to pick up some clothes. I made dinner, it is in the fridge. Sorry I missed you guys. Call me if you need anything. Thank you for keeping the house picked up. I promise to be home Sunday to spend time with you girls. Love you girls a bunch

xoxo, mom

"Cool. I hope it's enchiladas." I opened the fridge to peer inside. Sure enough there was a pan of enchilada's. I pulled them out and preheated the oven. It would take 20 minutes and dinner would be done.

Nuna headed back into the hallway and I went to clear off the dining room table and set it up.

"Melonie! Hurry up and pack and come get drinks please!" I hollered and popped the pan of enchiladas in the oven. She came out and set her stuff by the garage door. "So where are you going tonight?"