Chapter 16

I was going to tell her tomorrow. When we were eating frozen yogurt. Hopefully she wouldn't react the same way to me the way she did with Ryan. Screw him. If he told her then I damn well could. I just hoped that it wouldn't ruin our friendship if she doesn't like me.

When Emma asked if she could come over, I didn't think anything of it. Just though we were hanging out like the good friends we are. But then she started making moves. Like touching my arm when she laughed or playing with my feet when we were sitting. So I went to the bathroom as an escape.

Emma just jumped on me and was saying stuff like, "Hayden, I miss you so much. I miss us. Can you give me another chance?" I almost gave in too. But I knew I didn't feel the same anymore. She would always be in the back of my mind. But at that very moment I couldn't help but wish that Alaina were with me.

I sent Emma home telling her that we were better off as friends.

"Oh, and Alaina called for you." She had told me when I walked her to her car.

"What did she want?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. But she sounded upset."

I called her back not knowing what to expect. I hoped her dad was alright and that she was okay. I waited while the phone rang.

"Hello?" Her voice was sweet. Like cherry pie.

"Alaina? Hey sorry I missed your call earlier. Watsup” I hoped she wasn’t mad at me for missing her call. Emma was just being so weird.

"Uh yeah. Just really needed to talk to you. But it's okay. Will and Jess came instead." She had called me and I wasn’t there for her. How was she supposed to trust me?

"Will came to you?" I asked. I should’ve been there holding her. Then I realized her dad," Wait. What happened? Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. I'm at Jess's now but Dad was in the hospital you know and I wasn't feeling the best."

"Why didn't you say it was an emergency? I would've come straight away." She should’ve known that I would’ve come no matter what.

"I didn't want to interrupt you." She said quietly. Interrupt me? Oh. Emma answered the phone. Damn. That screwed things up.

"What? Me and Emma? Alaina, you’re like my best friend. I would've come to you in a heartbeat." I can’t believe she thinks that Emma and I would get back together after what she did to me and how Alaina and Jess helped me.

"Thanks. That means a lot." I sure hoped it meant as much to her as she does to me.

"Yeah," I nodded, "Umm just curious. Does Will still like you?" I was hoping he wouldn’t still have to be competition. I heard her laugh on the other end.

"No, he's going out with Jess now."

"Good." He would be good for Jess and I wouldn’t have to deal with him. Now that he was no longer going out with Alaina I could think of him as a good guy.

"Yeah, but Ryan did confess his love for me earlier tonight."

"What?" What the hell? Damn that kid.

"Uh yeah. He was at the hospital for his grandma and we sat together and he just flat out told me he loved me." Ryan did say he was going to try. I should’ve known better.

"Well what did you do, say, whatever?" All hope might be lost if she liked him back.

"I panicked. I told him I had to go. So I left. Poor thing, I probably broke his heart. Maybe I should call him." I shook my head. Alaina and her kind heart. I swear there is not a thing that girl can get mad at or anybody she could be mean to without feeling bad.

"No, I'm sure he's fine. Do you wanna go get some frozen yogurt with me tomorrow? Jess can come if she'd like."

"Sure sounds great. See you tomorrow."

"Bye." I needed to see her soon.

"Bye Hayden." She hung up and I felt my heart slow. I hadn’t even realized it had been beating so fast.

The one thing that I caught out of the entire conversation? That Ryan told her he loved her. He wouldn't know what that was. He just wanted in her pants! He was a douche and she didn't realize it.

Tomorrow. Frozen yogurt. Tell her.

                                                               ~                ~                ~

We sat outside of the frozen yogurt shop at one of the tables with the cool umbrellas.

"So are you okay?" I wanted to make sure that she could tell me anything. Relationships need to be honest and truthful. And I wanted ours to last. She ate a mouthful of gummy bears and nodded.

"Yeah. I was just having a really tough night was all. A lot of emotions were running through my head. Just, yeah." I nodded, what she was going through was hard I couldn't imagine how she was able to stay so strong. Then I remembered about Emma. I didn't want Alaina to get the wrong idea.

"Listen, I'm really sorry about that. You know Emma," She held up her hand and I stopped talking.

"You don't have to apologize. It's okay. I'm just glad you have my back. Dating Emma doesn't change our friendship. I'm dating Ryan now so we're cool." Wait what? I was not dating Emma. And Ryan?

"You're dating Ryan?" Why was she doing that? I'm about to confess that I wanted to be with her and this is what she tells me? Her eyes told me she didn't like the situation very much. "Why?"

"Because he asked me out? Why not?" Her eyebrows furrowed and she looked confused for a second.

"It's just," I paused. Did she think I was going out with Emma? Frustration over took me but I kept calm, "It's just nothing. I'm glad you're happy." She chuckled. Please lord, tell me this is all a prank and she isn't going out with Ryan. I guess I was just going to have to be her friend. But I was going to be her best friend.

"Thanks." She was pleased that I was happy for her. Why did I have to like a girl who didn't like me back? Why didn't I tell her sooner? I was a dumbass.

I was going to have to go out with Emma just so Alaina wouldn’t think we had a one night stand or anything. Which I would never do but she seems to think I would. I don’t know why girls thought I was like that. Whatever.

We continued to talk about unrelated things, like good friends. Friends.

****************************************************************************************************************

Hope you guys enjoyed it. It's short and in Hayden's POV. But it's just something to tie you over untill next week. Thought I'd upload before I go to the beach for soccer camp. Vote, comment, lemme know what you think. Oh btw picture of Alaina>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>