Chapter 17

Days past in blurred moments. One moment Dad was in the hospital, the next he was at home making French toast. Ryan still didn't know nor did I want him to.

He kept insisting that he meet my parents. But we had only been going out a week and a half. I didn't want to meet his parents and disappoint them when they find out we actually didn't last together. I mean even though we were dating, it wasn't because I truly wanted to. I just wanted him to be happy. And I hoped somehow he would make me happy.

But everything felt worse. Seeing Hayden everyday with Emma didn't help. Hayden and I would hang out, but I knew Emma didn't like it.

This morning in English Hayden sat where he normally did. Ryan came into class and didn't go to his seat right away.

"Hey bro, is it alright if I sit there from now on?" Hayden looked at him with no expression.

"No. Why do you need to?"

"Because I would like to sit across from my girlfriend." Ryan looked at Hayden bewildered.

"Well you have a whole other class where you get to sit by her. So I think you'll survive one class not sitting right next to each other."

I looked over at Nuna and she gave me 'wow' expression. Talk about friction in the air. Ryan sat it his seat in defeat. Hayden sure was adamant about staying in his seat. We continued to work the rest of the class in silence, which was odd for our group. Nuna and I passed notes the entire time and every once in a while I would look up to see Hayden just sitting back and watching me.

I was walking down the hall when Ryan came and grabbed my hand.

"Hey gorgeous." I gave him a small smile. He brought my hand up to his lips and planted a small kiss.

"Hey." I said in return. He had his lunch tray in one hand and we went to go sit by Hayden, Emma, Nuna, and Jess.

Emma was sitting in Haden's lap and I could see Nuna getting annoyed with every second passing by.

"Hey guys watsup." I greeted them sitting next to Nuna. "Nuna, where's your lunch?" She gave me a smile.

"No worries. Finished it before you got here." She worried me sometimes. I looked at Hayden for conformation. He shook his head. I rolled my eyes.

"Nuna. Seriously. That's not good." I pulled our five dollars from my purse, "Go get yourself lunch from the cafeteria. Not just junk food. I wanna see you come back and eat everything."

"Thanks mom." Everyone chuckled at my nick name. "You take such good care of me." She walked off to the cafeteria.

"Why didn't Nuna get lunch in the first place?" Asked Emma. It took me all I had not to roll my eyes.

"Her parents are crazy. She pays for her own lunch and just spent her last paycheck on shoes for her younger sisters." She nodded only half listening while playing with Hayden's hair.

"So are you, Nuna, and Jess gonna come to my game tonight?" Hayden asked as I had stuffed my mouth with salad. I put up my hand to tell him give me a minute to chew. He chuckled at me and I smiled back. I was always so comfortable around him.

And when we are one on one, this unexplainable feeling of comfort and giddiness always surrounds me.

"Sorry man I won't be able to make it. Cousins are in town." Ryan said. Even though he wasn't asked to go. Hayden nodded and shrugged his shoulders.

"It’s cool."

I swallowed and took a sip of water.

"Yes I will definitely be there with Nuna, Nate, and a surprise for it being your last home game." I smiled.