Chapter 13

"Mom I'm on my way, okay?" I could only hear her mumble something through the phone. I hit end and shoved the phone into my pocket.

I grabbed my purse that had my wallet and made my way to the door. I didn't even try and bother to tell Hayden I was leaving or have the manners to say bye. My feet went from a hurried walk to a jog to my car.

My vision blurred and my chest heaved making it harder for me to breath with every shaky inhale of air. I knew the second she started to sob that something had happened to David. It was more than just a bad day. Mom wouldn't call me for help like this. She would've had Melonie help out.

I didn't want Melonie to be the one who had to be strong for mom. It was hardest on mom. David was her love. And with love comes the fear of losing them and the pain of not being with them. Melonie didn't need to see mom like that. I was the strong one in the family. I was the one who stayed clear minded and steady throughout everything. David and I were the rocks.

When David found out at first, he had pulled me aside and told me that he knew that this was going to be harder on mom and Melonie than me. That we had to stay strong for them. He then gave me a hug and winked at me like cancer was just an intense game of basketball and we were already ahead by fifteen points.

Even if this were like basketball he had to know that there was always a low point in the game that had one team dreading falling behind and the other itching to win. That and the last quarter that basically would call the game. This was definitely not the last quarter. We had to be at half time.

I tried pressing the unlock button but with the tears building up in my eyes it was easy to accidently press the panic button. I pressed it again to shut the car up.  I angrily kept pressing buttons until I thought I had unlocked the car. I tried opening the door but it just stayed where it was. I stomped at the ground in frustration and slammed against the car door.

"Just open dammit!" The keys slipped out of my hand and I bent down to get them.

"Alaina!" Hayden's voice sounded distant and urgent. But I ignored it. I had to get to mom. I had to get to Melonie. But I needed to get to David.

I took the key and finally unlocked the car manually and swung open the door. I threw my purse in and tried to get in myself only to hit my head. I threw my keys in the seat and grabbed my head. I groaned. My tears fell and I started heaving loudly.

"Alaina." Hayden's voice was in my ear and his arms wrapped around me from behind. I tried to make him release me but his grip tightened.

"Hayden! Let me go! I HAVE to go! They need me!"

"No." Was what he said. I turned around to face him. His face was sad. He seemed hurt seeing me so distressed.

"LET ME GO!" He shook his head and I pounded my fist against his chest. His chest felt so hard. But he wasn't letting up. I continued to pound until my hands felt tired.

"Stop." He didn't try to explain to me why I shouldn't go just to stop what I was trying to do. He wrestled to keep me still. My legs started to kick from beneath me  as a reflex. As if he was the enemy.

"They need me." I said through sobs.

"Not like this Alaina." His voice lowered and softened. "Not like this." He kept repeating himself. "Not like this." His voice sweetened each time he said it. Like the sourness of coffee becoming inexistent with each spoonful of sugar added.

My body went limp in his arms and I leaned against him. He held me up and rested his chin on the top of my head.

"I'm their rock. They need me." I whispered into his chest too exhausted from crying so vigorously.