Chapter 20

They had both been suspended. Ryan for two weeks and Hayden for one week. The week he had been gone for felt like forever. He didn't text me at all. I didn't want to text him because I wasn't exactly sure what his intentions were. So I waited. Impatiently might I add.

I tried not to be annoying and talk about him but Nuna and Jess fed my weakness. Every time they brought up the fight I smiled a little bit. He fought and got suspended in my defense. That was a big deal. Especially since the suspension could cost him his spot on varsity for baseball. I'm sure the coach was beyond pissed, but luckily only one game had been scheduled for the week Hayden was gone.

I sat on my bed Sunday night anxiously trying to distract myself from the fact that I was going to be able to see Hayden tomorrow. I wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen. Just that I was going to be able to look at his handsome face during class.

Maybe I was hoping that in the morning I would see him in the foyer sitting at one of the tables with our friends. Then once our gaze met he would stand up slowly and smile his goofy grin at me. I'd walk shyly with my head kind of tucked down towards him. And once I was close enough he would tip my chin up, smile, and lean in for an ever so sweet and delicate kiss.

I shook my head smiling. What was I going to do with myself? Melonie knocked on my door and came in shutting it behind her.

"Hey. Watsup chickadee?" I asked. She didn't look very good. "Are you sick?" I put the back of my hand to her cheek and forehead to check for a fever.

"Dad's throwing up. I think he's getting worse. Have you seen him lately?" I shook my head. I've been busy with school work and have been late from tutoring at the high school. "He looks skinnier and not so colorful. You know?" I nodded my head. I scooted closer to her and brought her into a big hug.

"It's okay. We're going to get through this. He's strong. We're strong." She nodded her head.

My door opened and we swung our heads to see mom.

"Alaina will you get the car warmed up? We need to go the hospital tonight. He's in a lot of pain." I nodded my head.

"Melonie go get your shoes on." She scurried out and I threw on a hoodie over my tank top. I slipped on my flats and grabbed my purse. I knew I would be driving. Mom was going to sit in the back with David.

I grabbed a few capri suns from the fridge and some snack bars. We were going to be there for a while and I knew the drill.

Mom helped David into the back seat and Melonie hopped in front.

"'Melonie doesn't have to come." David tried to say.

"She won't stay home alone. It's okay. We're all in this together." I said as soothing as I could.

                                                              ~              ~              ~

I lifted my head as my mom brushed back the hair from my face. Melonie was asleep on me as comfortable as she could get in these chairs.

"Hey honey." My mom said softly. "You and Melonie can go home. David and I are going to stay here for a few nights. So you don't mind watching her right?"

"What time is it?" I asked. She looked at her watch.

"Two in the morning." She said. I nodded.

"Of course not mom. Just call me tonight and give me an update." I started to sit up trying not to wake up Melonie.

"Thanks hun." She gave me a kiss on the forehead and helped with Melonie.

I was able to stand up and sling my purse across me and grabbed my keys. Melonie was still out cold. She wasn't any more than ninety five pounds. Tall and skinny for her age. I picked her up to carry her. I looked at mom and she smiled.