Chapter 15

I dialed Nuna's number and let it ring.

"It's Nuna's cell and I missed your call. Sorry not sorry, you know what to do after the beep."

"Uh hey Nuna, call me back whenever you get this. I've gots lots to tell you. Love ya bye."

I sighed. I dialed Jess' number next. It went straight to voicemail. I hung up not even bothering to leave a message. Okay, one last person. I dialed Will's number. It rang three times before he answered.

"Hello?" He seemed out of breath.

"Hey, It's Alaina. Are you busy?" I heard giggling in the back ground.

"Shhh. Sorry Alaina watsup?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I can call back later if you’re busy." I offered. Who was he with?

"No, no. It's not a problem. Do you need something?"

"Well I was just wondering if you could come keep me company at the hospital."

"Wait. Why are you at the hospital?" There was some rustling and then a new voice was talking to me over the phone.

"Alaina this is Jess and we're on our way." I sighed in relief.

"Thanks Jess," I paused, "care to let me in on why you're at Will's so late?" I asked teasingly.

"Later." She replied quietly, giggling a little bit.

"Alright. Thanks guys."

"No problem sugar. See ya in a bit." I nodded then hung up.

I started to laugh at myself. There was no way she saw me nod. I'm such a dork.

I sat outside on the curb of the hospital and waited for them to pull into the parking lot. I knew it was a good idea to set them up. They were adorable together. And thinking about them made me think about Hayden. And Emma. Then Ryan. Oh my god. What the hell was happening?

Why was the universe trying to make my life so damn complicated? Seriously. I just didn't understand what I did to deserve any of this. Maybe I was being naive. I mean I've had it good. I was just being selfish. I wanted what I wanted and wouldn't except anything else.

I looked at the stars not even knowing the constellations but knowing that they were beautiful.

"Alaina?"

I looked to my left to see Jess standing there with her hand on my shoulder.

"Hey." I said. I looked down at the asphalt while Jess sat next to me and Will sat to my right.

"So watsup?" Asked Will. I took a deep breath.

"My dad has cancer." I just said out loud and quick. To get it over with.

"That's why you're here?" Asked Jess gently.

"Yeah. He's had it for a while now. He had a really bad day I guess. I don't know. I was tutoring Hayden when Mom called hysterical. I tried to rush to her but Hayden wouldn't let me. I was freaking out too much." Will rubbed my back.

"I'm sorry Alaina." Will said solemnly. I nodded.

"On the other hand. You and Hayden? What happened there?" Jess asked happily.

Tears began to form in my eyes. I looked up at her and her expression changed when she noticed how sad I was.

"I thought it was going somewhere," I sniffled, "But when I called to talk to him about this because he knew, but he was with Emma."