Chapter 19

I had been avoiding Ryan all morning. I was really apprehensive about breaking up with him. But I knew it had to be done. Ryan was a sweet guy, so hopefully he wouldn't make a huge deal out of this. I mean yes he had feelings, I knew that, but I wasn't going to stand beside him staying miserable while he thought I was happy.

In the halls I was always having a conversation with someone and pretending not to notice him so he wouldn't talk to me. I made sure not to linger at my locker and to get to class quickly. So when lunch came around I sat down and waited nervously. My leg bounced up and down and Nuna rolled her eyes at me. She thought I was making too big of a deal of this.

But breaking up with somebody wasn't an easy thing to do. How would I start it? Would I make it look like I was breading up with him or try to hide it until the last second? Did I just say what I needed to say and leave him just standing there or give him a hug and say, 'Good bye' like a priss. I had gone over it a million times in my head last night.

Everyone was chatting and laughing casually. I kept a tight smile on my face, not really paying any attention but keeping a look out for Ryan. I felt hands rub my shoulders and knew he was behind me. I could feel my tummy tightening at the thought of hurting him.

"Hey." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and I grimaced. I stood up and grabbed his hand, pulling him away from the table. I let go of his hand and stood in front of him not meeting his gaze. "What's wrong?" He asked concerned.

"I don't really know how to say this. And I feel really bad about it." I looked up and could see the anguish in his eyes. "But we aren't working out. And I know you think we have been, but to be honest I've kind of been miserable. And it’s not your fault at all. It's not mine either. It's just not in the cards for us."

I stood there wringing my hands not knowing if I should hug him and leave or just walk away. His jaw clenched and his stare went cold.

"No." Ryan said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Excuse me?"

"I said no. We aren't breaking up." He stepped forward and grabbed my arm forcefully.

"Ryan. Let go. We are not staying together. I'm sorry that this hurts you but it's not happening." He squeezed my arm and yanked me towards him.

"You don't just get to decide that we're over." He whispered harshly in my ear. He was scaring me. I yelped at his touch and pushed him off of me.

"Ryan stop it!" His hand raised and I flinched closing my eyes. Next thing I knew Hayden was on top of Ryan. I watched as Hayden repeatedly brought his fist to Ryan's face. Ryan tried to fight back but he was no match to Hayden's year round baseball muscles.

Nuna and Jess came and stood next to me. A crowd had started to form and people were taking pictures. Even though the watching Hayden beat Ryan up kind of scared me, it also made me a little bit happy knowing he was protecting me.

A few teachers came around with the principal and made their way through the crowd.

"Break it up! Break it up!" They hollered. "Go about your business kids." The crowd dispersed and Nuna tugged on my arm. I waited though until they helped Ryan up. He was a mess; blood was all over his shirt and face. His left eye was already starting to swell. Hayden's fist had Ryan's blood all over it.

They pulled them away and started walking to the office. Hayden looked back at me before turning the corner. I gave him a small smile and mouthed, thank you.

He smiled back and kept going.

I could say Hayden was my best friend because he knew things about me that only Nuna and Jess knew. I was just desperately hoping that we might have the chance to be more than friends.

**********************************************************************************************************************

I'm sorry it's taken so long to upadate! And that it's really short but I got this in for you guys. I have no idea when the next update will be. Blame my busy schedule. But I'll try to have one either at the end of the month or the very begining of next month.  I know it probobly sounds a little different. Vote, commmet, lemme know what you think! Thanks guys!