Fourty-Three

Jace

"Did you find anything?" Allison asked.

"I don't know." I muttered under my breath.

We were currently in Dominic's head office. He left for his business meeting not too long ago and took all his important people with him. He left Allison in charge, no watchful eyes on her.

This gave us an opportunity.

I looked through his cabinets and folders to find anything related to my dad. Any small clue.

"You know he won't hide anything in plain sight." She said scouring through his desk. Delicate enough to keep everything in place.

I sighed. "I know. Where would this bastard hide things?"

"You know, I like her." She changed the topic and I knew exactly who she was referring to.

"Nope. Not doing this." I told her as I continue to look for any hidden spaces.

"Jace, I'm your girlfriend and as your girlfriend I am telling you not to screw it up with Leah." She said with her hands on her hips.

"You're not really my girlfriend. And there is nothing to screw up. Leah and I are nothing. I'm just helping her out with an issue." I told her.

She laughed. "You are not fooling a soul."

"What is that suppose to mean?"

"It's clear as day that you have feelings for her." Allison said checking behind a picture frame.

I stayed silent.

Maybe she was right.

But it's not like I can act on them.

"Even if I do and I'm not saying I do. I can't bring her into this world. I can't put her in danger."

Allison looked me in the eyes. "That should be more than any to find our answers and we need to find them quick."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Because I got some intel that Dominic is planning something huge and it's happening soon."

"Huge, like what?" I questioned.

"Like trying to over take the second highest mafia in the country."

I paused.

"You know what that means, lots of bloodshed, broken families and so much grief."

Fuck.

Allison's phone began to ring. She pulled it out, but accidentally dropped it on the ground behind Dominic's desk.

"Ah damn. If we were trying to be silent, we would be dead by now." She said picking up her phone.

"Wait." I told her. "Drop your phone again on that same spot."

She looked at me like I had two heads. "Just do it."

She obliged and dropped her phone again. "Did you hear that?" I asked her.