Chapter One - A Window of Possibility

Chapter Song - Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall

New York. The city that never sleeps. The big apple. 

The New York where there's $1 hotdogs, and coffee shops on every corner. I wish I lived in the New York you know, where its all Serena Van Der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf. 

For me, however? Its a much darker place. 

Not everywhere of course, but you didn't grow up in The Bronx. A life where it was either pay for the electricity so you didn't freeze in the winter, or food so you didn't go hungry during the night.  

Of course not every place in The Bronx is scary, heaps of parts are safe and have the lovely white picket fence houses for families to happily live in. I wasn't graced with that white picket fence luck. I grew up in South Bronx away from the safety of places like Fieldston. 

But I won't spoil the New York city that you know, for you. The one you all so love. 

That came out wrong. I do love this city, it's my home and I have an abundance of happy memories - even when growing up in The Bronx. That's the thing with humans, we can find happiness even if we live in a forgotten dusty corner of the world. 

The indomitable human spirit.

Although another lovely part of this city are the bills. Apartment bills to be specific. Seriously $1,787 per month for a one bedroom, one bath apartment? And one that smells like hamburgers? 

Not even the good kind either. I'm also 99.9% sure it has a rat infestation, from the basis that my cheese puffs always get broken into, and the incessant scratching within the walls.

Except for me working two jobs and trying to reach my almost to far away dreams, the money I make still doesn't pay for my 'cheaper' rent in New York. I just finished or got 'laid off' my last nannying job, because the parents decided they wanted to be closer with their children. Which is great, I'm all for it, but when it's also your best source of income and you lose it. 

Not so great. 

But, I will remain optimistic. Another great thing about this city, opportunities are around every corner, you just have keep searching. Sometimes they just hide in the shadows, or in the mouth of a rat that resembles more of a small dog.

"Okay," I breathe, staring at my rackety closet, scanning over the minimal clothing options for today. 

I scan over my options, then gaze out the window. The bright yellow sun beams through my decaying window, enveloping my small apartment with light. Why use electricity when you can just use natural sunlight? Saves money and it's a good source of vitamin D.

I grab a pair of ripped denim shorts and a plain white second-hand 'Yankee's t-shirt. I've never seen a baseball game live, only small snippets I would watch at the T.V store down the road from my old house. I use to stand there for ages just watching the games through the stained windows, the old T.V's were my only source of television since I didn't have one growing up.