Chapter Ten - Opportunities

Chapter Song - Strange Magic by Electric Light Orchestra

"No, rhinos can't travel through space," I tell Bridie, answering her question on if rhinos can travel through space. I don't even blink an eye when she asks her out of the blue questions now, I just continue what I'm doing and answer the question. Because she won't stop pestering unless someone answers her. 

"Ugh, thats so un-cool of them" she rolls her eyes.

"Agreed," I say, grabbing a random top and putting it on the Barbies i've been given.

Currently Bridie and I are playing Barbies, the two of us are first dressing our barbies, before beginning. In this specific game we're two families, so I have two daughters, a husband and pet cat. While Bridie has two sons, three dogs and a horse - she said a husband was useless in her family. 

"Whats your favourite dessert?" Bridie asks, brushing her horse - Whiskers - main. 

I pause my barbie dressing. "Hm, brownies and ice cream." I answer. "What about you?" I ask her. 

"Ice cream, duh," she says in a 'duh' tone. 

"Of course, what a silly question on my behalf," I laugh, and she giggles. 

Continuing to ready our Barbies, my movements are halted when my phone rings. I pull out my iphone that I recently bought - helps when you have a nice pay check, and I was in need of a new phone that wasn't on the brink of dying.

"This is Daphne," I answer the call, placing my phone at my ear.

"Daphne Collins?" The feminine voice on the other end asks.

"Yep, thats me," I assure her, curious as to who this person is. 

"Okay great, i'm Nicki Millard from Grey Art Gallery and i'm calling in inquiry about two of your pieces," she says, and I instantly perk up. 

Oh my god, oh my god. Don't freak out Daphne.

Geez, I completely forgot I submitted a bunch of my pieces to different art galleries last month. Being a nanny really depletes your memory. "Yes, what about them?" I ask, trying to conceal my excitement. 

"We'd be interested in displaying two of your pieces, one titled 'Dew Drops' and the other titled 'In Sombre Times'," the woman says.

"Oh wow, that would be amazing." I say, biting my lip to conceal a huge smile. 

"Okay great, if you'd be able to drop by anytime today to sort out details, what time would benefit you best?" she asks, and I instantly freeze.

"Oh," I glance at my watch, the time reading 11:54am. "Would 1:45pm be all good?" I ask.

"Perfect, just come into the foyer and i'll be at the receptionist desk," she says, and I can hear the smile in her voice. Hanging up, I place my phone back in my back pockets. This is- holy fucking fuck!